Hdd

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my hard drive from 250gb 5400rpm to a 500gb 7200rpm but so many people have said either WD is good/bad or seagate is good/bad and hitachi is a deathstar. Im looking for reliability and looking for ideas. I am looking at the Hitachi 7k500 only because my current is a Hitachi travelstar and thought like for like wont be a bad choice since apple gave me it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This thread in particular will be of some help to you. The post I linked to begins the discussion about Hitachi drives specifically.
The stock drive my MBP came with is Hitachi and I haven't had any issues with it in the 1.5 yrs that I've owned this machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
Seagate 500gb gets the best speed ratings of the bunch. I have that one and it has worked well so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No matter what brand of drive you do purchase, it will have its knockers so do not worry about them. Hitachi, Fujitsu, WD and Seagate are all reliable, although naturally enough some do fail, and that is why checking out the manufacturer's warranty is important.

Deathstars were IBM models before Hitachi took over the manufacture of the drive. Hitachi drives are as reliable now as any other brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
I got a hitachi 7k500 and it was okay until it was almost finished formatting and gave me errors out the *****, luckily, however, I have had the same experience in the past with WD, as well as seagate. You will always have some bad eggs in the bunch. Just make sure, as stated above, to make sure wherever you buy from has a good warranty, as well as the mfr.

No matter how you go, a 7200 rpm will show a significant improvement. =)

OP
sharples696
Reaction score
I live in the UK and dont have access to websites such as newegg. is their a uk version of this website or similar? i think i will stick with the hitachi and will have my fingers crossed. thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
I've looked around, and the only site I can find is OWC (macsales.com)

They are a little more expensive than new egg,but I believe they ship internationally. Maybe you should check them out?

-Keegan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It also looks like TigerDirect.com does international =)

Reaction score
I live in the UK and dont have access to websites such as newegg. is their a uk version of this website or similar? i think i will stick with the hitachi and will have my fingers crossed. thanks again
Hi there,
I'd try Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more, Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices, Cheap Laptop, Hard Drives, LCD Monitors, TVs, Televisions, Netbooks and more at Ebuyer.com, or Play.com (UK): DVDs, Music CDs, MP3s, Video Games, Books, Electronics & Gadgets - Free Delivery if you want to avoid hefty international shipping charges.

Hope this info helps. :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.