FLAC to AIFF in iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What's the procedure? Seems I did that in iTunes once before. Want to burn a playable DVD-R from 88.2K FLAC audio files. Most of the free FLAC conversion software I see listed says it is for OSX but then when I download it proves to be a useless .exe file. What's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I use Max, which is a brilliant ripper too, and copes with many other formats as well.

Max from sbooth.org

OP
H
Reaction score
Use of Max to convert FLAC

I got Max and used it to convert the FLAC audio files. The order and titles of the 11 tracks were all screwed up. I put back in order into Toast and tried to burn the DVD. I got: "CD-ROM XA or Audio tracks cannot be written to DVD."
So now what? I also don't know if the AIFF conversion I chose is 96/24 or just 44.1/16 again.
I think now what I did before was just drag FLAC files into iTunes and then chose "Create AIFF version" to convert. Wouldn't that work? But then perhaps Toast wouldn't burn a 96/24 DVD-R...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I got Max and used it to convert the FLAC audio files. The order and titles of the 11 tracks were all screwed up. I put back in order into Toast and tried to burn the DVD. I got: "CD-ROM XA or Audio tracks cannot be written to DVD."
So now what? I also don't know if the AIFF conversion I chose is 96/24 or just 44.1/16 again.
I think now what I did before was just drag FLAC files into iTunes and then chose "Create AIFF version" to convert. Wouldn't that work? But then perhaps Toast wouldn't burn a 96/24 DVD-R...

You need to have tagging on in Max preferences, then it will automatically tag the files the same way as they were.
Toast won't burn to dvd as an audio disc, you can burn them as data though, and they should play.
Look into Max preferences for bit rates, but it will be the same as source normally, you don't want to re-encode up anyway, that's always bad.
Toast will happily burn 96/24 to CD.
You can't drag FLAC into iTunes, as it's not a supported format. If it were you wouldn't need to convert.
Give me a shout if you need more help with Max.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thanks a million. I've been using FLACer to convert from flac to aiff. But of recent it's just not been working. And I've been looking for an alternative app that actually works. And the 2 options here look nice. Thanks for this information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
I'm not sure if anyone will pick this up as it's an old thread…
I use Max for FLAC to AIFF conversion. The sound is perfect but the file size almost doubles using the 16 bit option but using the 8-bit option creates a hiss on the track but keeps the file size similar.
Any tips?

Gggrrrrrrr

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
AIFF is like Wave on the PC. Not a Lossy format so it's very large. You could convert to Apple Lossless which is around the same size as FLAC or just use a Player in OSX to play the FLAC's as they are. AIFF and WAVE are full size with no compression at all.

I use a small player called COG for any FLAC files I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.