error 43 and random deleted files!!!!!!

Reaction score
hello folks,

this is my first REAL problem since I started to use MAC regularly.

I had this problem today morning, I connected my External Hard Drive (HD) which i lent to my colleague to copy some movies to it from his windows laptop...

when I connected my HD, MAC started to be slow and stuck between working orders, then when i tried to open the folder with movies, it started to stuck again, and started to act weird.

It appeared the file is empty although when I gave it to my colleague yesterday, the empty space was 13 GB and today become 4 GB and so I was sure the movies were there...

i tried to eject the HD using (cmd+E) and also using 2 fingers + eject but no respond; I tried the force quit and nothing worked.

at last I had to un-plug the HD without ejecting and still the laptop is slowing and stuck and so I had to restart it from the power button (it refused to shut down or restart from the menu).

After opening it, the HD had an empty space of 60 GB and I was wondering why.... I started to look around inside some folders and I found that some of the files had been deleted ..!!!!!!!

it was a random delete, I do not know what is the relation....

when I tried to open one of the files, the names of them changed and a massage about (error -43) appeared.....

I will attach the screenshot of some of the new findings..

Can any one help me in this problem???

Can I have my files back??? can I back up????

how can i know what caused this problem??? how to avoid it in the future ??

Thank you soooo much in advance....

Picture 2.png

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Seems to me that something that your mate did re wrote the directory. If there is important stuff on the disk my only thought is to get yourself Disk Warrior and use that to try and recover the files. Others may be able to give better advice but that is how i would approach it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. Seems to me that something that your mate did re wrote the directory. If there is important stuff on the disk my only thought is to get yourself Disk Warrior and use that to try and recover the files. Others may be able to give better advice but that is how i would approach it.

Thank you so much, Collin

I will search about your solution and I hope it will be good.... but I still do not know why the random delete of files???? it is still a mystery.... I hope others can help regarding this issue ....

Thank you again, Collin...really appreciate it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.