• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple iPad to change iPhone strategy (with a really good short video)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple iPad to change iPhone strategy; thrash all analysts’ unit sales estimates
MacDailyNews - Schwarz: Apple iPad to change iPhone strategy; thrash all analysts' unit sales estimates (with vid)

This is a video. But one really worth watching. Very interesting. He talks about, is Apple stock worth investing into with the ipad release soon? And he also talks about how the ipad is changing the iphone. He also talks about how there is a report in June that the iphone will have a new version with a smaller screen.

He thinks this iphone screen shrink is because Apple believes their ipad will be an even bigger game changer then the iphone was. He also says the highest estimate of 6 million ipads sold in the first year is very low. And because of this Apple want people to flock to the ipad for their App store needs and the new tiny iphone will be just a tethering device or glue as he says that keeps your Apple wireless network in place.

And his stock advice is: Would he buy Apple stock over $200 each. And his answer is absolutely.

Sure my comments are just a review of the 3 minute video the link above has. But if you have the time watch the link. This guy really gets the whole ipad idea. And says it in a way of like "hey yeah that makes so much sense". Just watch it ok :).

And lastly the new iphone info he has sounds really interesting. I just might buy one if these come no the market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hmm, interesting. It sounded like he was saying if you have an iPhone that you can tether it to the iPad and you won't need to pay for the 3G iPad or the monthly bill for 3G on the iPad. That's what I got from it. Seems like Apple would lose a lot of money on selling those more expensive 3G iPads if that is true. AT&T wouldn't like it either if they aren't getting that extra monthly 3G charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If they shrink the new iPhone screen I would have to look elsewhere and of course it is
a prediction of course and one I hope does not come true.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yeah I got that too. Or that their next tiny iphone (with no 3G) tethers to the ipad and uses the ipad's 3G. Either way it's only 1x 3G charge and not 2 like the phone carriers like AT&T would want.

I'm not sure how much of the 3G monthly charge Apple get. I don't think it would be much. I see AT&T and other carriers being the big losers here. And Apple profiting all the way to the bank.

But with the tiny new iphone, would it mean Apple would stop one day accepting app store apps for the current iphone size. And only have tiny iphone and ipad apps. Also this says nothing about the touch. I think the this whole setup the guy in the video is talking about will kill the touch. I think the touch's days are numbered. But I guess future touch sales will be the ultimate indicator.

Yes osxx many people like you would go *** iphone nano? No way and look elsewhere. But I personally would love a 3G-less iphone. If this tiny iphone comes out, I'd buy it tomorrow. Like anything, no one product can claim to fit every group of people in society.

Reaction score
Looking for info on the I Pad

I am a creative director how can I use the I pad to help me work.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Don't be shrinking my iPhone screen man!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
I thought the Touch's days were numbered too, until I read an article on macrumors about Sprint advertising their mobile hot spot with an iPhone. This made me think, why not carry the hot spot with you and simply use a voip app on the touch as your primary phone?

Sure you'd still be paying Sprint for your service, but at least its an effective way to avoid AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Personally I dont thing he has anymore of an idea what apple is going to do then we do .I find the idea that apple will reduce the screen size of the iPhone to be , well , just stupid. The iPad is too big to be a truly mobile device and I cant see anyone with an iPhone being happy about trading it in for an iPad ! Jobs said himself this was a device to fill a gap , and thats just what it will do for me. I will purchase one to be used around my house and the occasional hotel room but for an everyday mobile device its the iPhone doing just what it was designed to do .

Clay

C

chas_m

I could see Apple creating a "mini" version of the iPhone, but not replacing the iPhone we know today.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people thought no floppy drive in a computer was dumb.
Some people thought the move to intel was dumb.
Some people thought Apple entering the smart phone market was dumb.
And after how the newton went some people thought making the ipad was dumb.

I think you see where I'm getting at. Sure Apple's ideas might seem dumb at the time, but in the long term they really worked. And an iphone nano might seem really dumb now. Even I have troubles seeing how it could work. But maybe if this was to happen, Apple would have a way of it working and getting people to buy it.

I agree this bloke in the video does not know for certian what will happen but his ideas at least sound plausable. A rumour with a little fact behind it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There might well be a market for such a phone. My wife, for example, has one of the more basic cell phones on the market. It will do text messaging and a few other things which she very rarely uses. If she were interested in these features at all the iPhone interface would certainly be an improvement over pushing a key multiple times to get to the correct letter.

C

chas_m

Looking for info on the I Pad

I am a creative director how can I use the I pad to help me work.

thanks

Welcome!

To start, it's an "iPad."

For info on the iPad, I would suggest you start here:
Apple - iPad - See the web, email, and photos like never before.

In particular I would recommend that you watch both the short (8 min) promotional film, and then the full 2-hour keynote. This should give you a lot of info on the iPad, what it is and what it isn't.

As for "how can I use the iPad to help me work," there's no one answer to that, but as a former creative director myself, I can think of a few specific things you might find useful:

1. Being tablet/slate sized, it makes for a very good way to show comps at a meeting. With a laptop or iPhone, you'd have to pass it around or gather everyone within a foot of you; with the iPad, you just flip it over and show everyone. If an artist sends you an email with a comp on it and you're trying to look at it on an iPhone, heh, you know how much better that larger screen is going to be for this.

2. Being extremely light compared to a notebook, I plan on using it a lot for presentations: not only can I connect the iPad to a projector, and (perhaps) use my iPhone as the remote (oh yes!), but I can actually CREATE the presentation right on the iPad -- no computer (necessarily) required.

3. Don't know if you have to do any spreadsheets, but those can also be created right on the iPad, as can Pages docs (which can be converted to to Word if necessary, then uploaded/emailed to clients right from there).

4. Although it doesn't ship with one, since the iPad runs almost all iPhone apps, there is a HUGE world of potential uses I've not covered here, from time management/tracking to handwriting recognition.

5. Reading industry news and creative magazines can take a lot of time, and one usually likes to do that sort of thing during what would otherwise be "downtime," for example on the train going into work. But who wants to carry all that material? Replace it with the electronic e-mag/e-book editions and carry them all on one light, *easy to read* device. If you see an ad or an article you want to show someone else, take a screenshot!

6. Since app developers are only just now starting to submit ideas uniquely aimed at the iPad, we're on the ground floor of what's possible.

I hope that gets you thinking!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.