• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Teen gets carpal tunnel from texting, wants iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Teen gets carpal tunnel from texting, wants iPhone
Teen gets carpal tunnel from texting, wants iPhone | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

16-year-old Annie Levitz from Mundelein, Ill., began to sense a little disharmony in her hands. They would feel tingly, numb, or merely hurt like ****. Had she been practicing her free throws in preparation for March Madness? Had she been attempting to become Mundelein's Chopin? If only. Levitz had merely been texting her friends up to 100 times a day.

Finally, she went to the doctor, who diagnosed her not with text dependency, but with carpal tunnel syndrome.

This unfortunate message came with the stipulation that she must wear a brace on each hand and enjoy cortisone injections. She also has to endure surgery. Worse than all of that, of course, is the embarrassment. She told ABC News: "It's painful, first of all. It's embarrassing wearing the braces, and having people know--it's not the greatest."

Levitz has also had to cut down on her habit, though she has been unable to go cold-texting-turkey. She gritted her teeth while admitting to ABC News that she is down from 4,000 texts a month to 2,000.

She believes, though, that there might be a cure. Not for the texting, but for the carpal tunnel--an iPhone. "I do think that since it's touch it won't be as rough on my hands," she said.

So there it is, a new market for the Apple's greatest invention. The iPhone should unquestionably target carpal tunnel teens, perhaps with the line: "It might numb your mind, but never your hands."

4000 texts a month. ***?? That's like 133 texts a day in a 30 day month. That's insane. I think soemone needs to ne told no more phone for you. And iphone won't cure that kind of addiction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You've gotta figure that sending that many messages (unless they're counting incoming also) consumes at least 2 hours a day. Wonder what her grades were last term... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
Thats ridiculous, then she cut it down to 2000 a month. Thats still a huge addiction

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I send/receive between 1500 to 2000 text messages a month. I'm in law school with pretty good grades and I participate in lots of extracurricular activities, so 2,000 messages isn't exactly debilitating in any manner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
The number of text's in a month isn't really a good measure of....idk what the words I'm looking for are, honestly.

Something to consider though, playing video games. Same basic hand movements between a cell phone and a PS/Xbox controller. Oh noes.....could be new lawsuits for carpal tunnel against the entire electronics industry!!! <rolls eyes>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Oh noes.....could be new lawsuits for carpal tunnel against the entire electronics industry!!! <rolls eyes>

<shakes head>

When will people start to take responsibility for there own actions ... Coming from Australia im amazed at what the rest of the world will *SUE* for. Dont get me wrong does happen here but NOT in the way it does other places.

We are becoming ....... Well i really dont want to think about that.

@ the story. What where her parents doing to not encourage this. She is 16 so my guess is she started earlier than than that.....

Come on parents, please look after your children. They are the future of this world and they deserve better. Please be there guardian, you bought them into this world so PLEASE PROTECT THEM

TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
I don't think you people understand... 133 texts a day is actually pretty low. Most people I know have a minimum of about 300. I'm not even sure why this is news.

T

todd51

I dont' do that much texting anymore. Mainly because my friends and I all have full-time jobs and don't have that much time to text throughout the day. That won't stop carpal tunnel from setting in from all the typing I do all day though.

I'm fearing the day when I get pain in my wrists/fingers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I don't think you people understand... 133 texts a day is actually pretty low. Most people I know have a minimum of about 300. I'm not even sure why this is news.

And what world do you live in ??
Link me somewhere where it says 133 txt msg's a day is pretty low.
A minimum of 300 .. Hmmmm Thats 12.5 a hr over the whole day. Dont your friends work ?? If i had a employee that was like that, they would be in my employ anymore.

TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Only time will tell. ;)
Verily!!!

<shakes head>

When will people start to take responsibility for there own actions ... Coming from Australia im amazed at what the rest of the world will *SUE* for. Dont get me wrong does happen here but NOT in the way it does other places.

We are becoming ....... Well i really dont want to think about that.

@ the story. What where her parents doing to not encourage this. She is 16 so my guess is she started earlier than than that.....

Come on parents, please look after your children. They are the future of this world and they deserve better. Please be there guardian, you bought them into this world so PLEASE PROTECT THEM

TM
I fully agree. It is utterly redicoulous how unaccountable people in this country are. Suing because we spill HOT coffee on ourselves, suing because we lock ourselves in fast food bathrooms, suing because of "distress" because of something you heard in public... Yeah...it is stupid in so many ways. Hence the sarcasm of my post...granted the sarcasm is a little hard to convey in text lol

I don't do that much texting anymore. Mainly because my friends and I all have full-time jobs and don't have that much time to text throughout the day. That won't stop carpal tunnel from setting in from all the typing I do all day though.

I'm fearing the day when I get pain in my wrists/fingers.
Pain in the hands and wrists royally sucks. I was in an accident at the end of high school that has left me with a lot of problems in my hands and wrists. I feel for those with CTS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I rarely text myself. At the most I would text maybe a total of 20 times a month.
And honestly, I rarely do it unless its a cute girl ;)

But texting is kind of dumb to me. It takes like 2 seconds to say whatever it is your texting.
Anyway back to the thread.
If I were her parents, I'd get rid of her cellphone. I mean, I'm sorry... that is just ridiculous.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.