• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Studio 2 on New Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 21.5'' 3.06ghz, Mac Pro 2.66ghzx4, Powermac G4 1.25ghz, IMac 17'' 1.8ghz
I am getting a new white macbook 4 gig ram for use with Final Cut Studio 2 and the Canon Vixia HV40 HDV Camcorder. I am currently running FCS2 on a PowerMac G4 1.25ghz with 2gig ram (Very slow!!!). If I get this, will it work with no errors and will I have long render times with my 1080i video? Can I play my timeline back in real time (thats a dream for a powerpc owner...)????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi,

to try to answer your questions:

1) Will it work with no errors? It should as long as you're getting a Macbook that has a 9400m or better graphics chipset. FCS3 has higher requirements for video memory for the Color application, but not everyone will require that aspect - plus you're referring to FCS2 so :)

2) Will you have long render times with 1080i? Depends on what you're doing. If you have to export - be prepared for it to take time - especially if you're transcoding from say 1080i to 720p via sequence settings.

3) Depends on the amount of simultaneous streams and which effects / transitions you have chosen to use in your video. If you stick to realtime capable ones and not too many simultaneous video streams you should be ok.

Now - as a note - I would strongly urge you to spend a few extra $100 to get the 13" MBP - the reason: FW800. The current Macbook has no firewire. To edit video, you really need to use a disk other then your boot/OS drive for scratch / render / scrub / etc. work. With the current Macbook, you'd be limited to using USB. Although you *can* edit using an external USB drive and HD video (I have in the past) - it's not near as pleasurable, and you can have fewer streams prior to rendering requirement, and with the speed, you tend to have some of your effects go from real time to render required.

I have edited on a late '08 Aluminum Macbook (2.4 GHz, 2Gig ram) w/ an external USB drive. I did it only when I had to (at work) until they got me an iMac to use. Whenever I went home, I used firewire (or one of my other internal drives as I have a Mac Pro at home) as my scratch media.

Overall, I think you'll have a much more pleasant experience on the Intel Mac editing HD footage; but as I mentioned, I strongly suggest you get the Macbook Pro 13". It's not much more expensive and it has Firewire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.