Macbook Pro DVD drive won't read discs!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Hellooo, my dvd drive on my macbook pro (bought in june 2008) stopped reading discs. About a week ago, it started taking really long to read them with multiple ejects before finally accepting the disc. The last disc it could read was a dvd movie and then after that it stopped reading them and now ejects every disc after about 15 - 30 seconds of trying to read it. Does anyone have any idea about what's going on and if I can fix it???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It could be a matter of cleaning it, or may be time for a new superdrive.
They are not overly hard to change yourself, and you can get them relatively cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp
I've had numerous problems with the slot loading superdrives on powerbooks and matchbooks pro's, to the extent where I don't even bother using them (don't even get me started on trying to burn bl dvd's). Just plug in an external every time.

The last time my superdrive went west on my mbp I took it into a genius bar for them to give it the once over. bearing in mind it was out of warranty they decided to fix it anyway. Its always worth a punt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I use my superdrive constantly as my primary DVD player. The last few months it started acting up and all I did was buy a drive online and replace it myself. I'd never taken apart a notebook before so it was a little nervewracking at first, but it was actually pretty easy to do. Now my MBP is like new again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.