• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do PC users commit piracy more than Mac users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
I can see this could turn into a Mac vs PC. Which is not the intent and no I am not saying PC users are all into piracy.

I seen a few videos on youtube and some articles around the net, saying the piracy is just so rampant in the PC world. Lot of these people argue that it is just the PC mentality in lots of people to steal software. I do not totally agree with that.

Though as a new switcher to Mac, i must admit that the apple community seem more into actually buying apps and software as opposed to stealing it. Just my impression of majority of mac users.

Then on the other hand, most people into piracy are teenage idiots. What are your thoughts on this issue. Personally as somebody who wants to perhaps be a software engineer someday, i see piracy as no different than stealing from a physical store and i buy all my apps. If I can not afford software then I like many others, save up and buy it. Piracy puts developers out of jobs. Yet near everybody gets away with it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can't say if one community is more into piracy or not..but as a recent switcher as well, I have seen many websites that create bundles of Mac software that are a GREAT deal..so I don't mind parting with $50 or so to grab $250-$300 worth of software..

Haven't seen these kinds of things for Windows software..so perhaps that MIGHT be something..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well by the number of threads we get in this forum citing downloading operating systems, cracking phones and ripping commercial DVDs, I do not think anyone can claim the higher, or lower, moral ground.

And be very, very wary of any site offering $300 of Mac software for $50.00. That ain't the way it works!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
People would have a different outlook on pirating if it directly affected them like when
they show up for work and get handed a pink slip because the product is not moving off
the shelves or is being copied by someone overseas and sold at half price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well by the number of threads we get in this forum citing downloading operating systems, cracking phones and ripping commercial DVDs, I do not think anyone can claim the higher, or lower, moral ground.

And be very, very wary of any site offering $300 of Mac software for $50.00. That ain't the way it works!

Unless of course, it's a place like the Academic Super Store ;) Only catch is, you have to prove you're a student or work for an educational institution. Furthermore, that institution must participate, so it's not just a matter of simply being a student or educator. The sign up process is a pain in the butt (because of the fact I stated, you have to fax or email a copy of your ID) but WELL worth the discounts.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps Doug but how does the store know students are not purchasing cheap software for mates and family who may not be en titled to the discount?

Reaction score
I think its the type of buyers that purchase Mac Product. Mac or more expensive and when you pirate software you are more likely expose to viruses and malware. It just better not to take risk with your expensive Macs. Am i right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am i right?

Well to some extent the answer is yes, but that does not appear to stop some folk. Personally I think it is a matter of personal values regarding theft and dishonesty pure and simple.

And there are no viri for Mac OS X, and the last Trojan was a couple of years ago with pirated copies of iWork from Pirate Bay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Since there are more PCs out there than Macs, statistically PC users are bound to engage in more piracy than Mac users. That doesn't mean they are a bad group as a whole though. Every group, no matter how they are split, has it's share of "bad" apples (no pun intended).

Reaction score
Can't say if one community is more into piracy or not..but as a recent switcher as well, I have seen many websites that create bundles of Mac software that are a GREAT deal..so I don't mind parting with $50 or so to grab $250-$300 worth of software..

Haven't seen these kinds of things for Windows software..so perhaps that MIGHT be something..

Regards

where are said bundles

EDIT: scratch this post i saw where he said it already. and my wife is a student. so i am going to try this out.

Reaction score
Perhaps Doug but how does the store know students are not purchasing cheap software for mates and family who may not be en titled to the discount?

i agree that pirating sucks. just wondering on what your thoughts of this would be. my wife uses my mac sometimes but mostly her pc. would it be wrong of me to buy the software with her discount being she only uses my computer for 30% of the time? just wondering..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I used to be into piracy in my teens. Now I realize the work that goes into writing software. Plus, I'm really lazy and have all the software I need, other than maybe upgrading to Logic, which I'll pay for.

Music, meh. I don't pity the record execs, and I know a lot of musicians who would agree with me that you should just be happy to have people listen to you. That's why sites like last.fm will win out, and not the record label method.

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
I do agree about the movie and music industry. I am not talking about the average person making documentaries and such. I am talking about the excec's at the top of these companies. No way should a movie cost $20 or so to buy on DVD. most people know it cost pennies for these companies to make these movies. Why should people like these movie stars get paid millions for remembering some lines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
@neonmac
the actors are not only "remembering lines" . they have a talent in acting . what you are saying is like if you said why radiohead should get paid many millions juste to make notes on a guitar. i , as an artist , really felt unrespected by that assumption.

Reaction score
@neonmac
the actors are not only "remembering lines" . they have a talent in acting . what you are saying is like if you said why radiohead should get paid many millions juste to make notes on a guitar. i , as an artist , really felt unrespected by that assumption.

your right people should get paid 10's of millions for less than a year of work..:eek:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As I always say - if it's worth listening to, watching or using, it's worth paying for - period.

If the show was on the other foot and someone was stealing the product of my labor, I'd be furious. How would it be ethical to do that to someone else (or even a wealthy company)?

I think we spend way too much time trying to play the role of the victim and justifying our actions when deep down we know they're wrong. If it's not worth the money to you because you think the disc pressing is the only cost involved in producing something, then don't use it.

Regardless of whether I'm using Windows or Mac, I always buy my software. I watched what piracy did to the Amiga in the late 80's and 90's and I wouldn't want to see the same thing happen to the platforms I prefer.

Reaction score
cwa107 i also have paid for everything for years now. but i do think everything is way over priced which is my opinion. but by no means does that imply i steal any software music or video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5inch iMac; 4GB RAM; 3.06 Intel Duo
The thing that gets forgotten in this debate is people stealing photographs.

"Oooooooh that's nice, let's have that for my wallpaper" Cmd click - save image

I would never steal stuff. I have in the past used file-sharing programs to try out music which I have then bought but I am very put off this now because I got a virus from it. Windows - surprise, surprise. I am a bit of a dunce on occasions. I'll admit.

I do think though that music companies especially ought to use this to their advantage. I would be interested in a lot more music which I would then buy if I could try out music.

As for software, well, I think you're asking for trouble there but it is a bit understandable when programs like Photoshop are many hundreds of pounds. I got mine when I was a student for the education price of £100 (sorry don't know what that is in dollars) otherwise there is no way I would've been able to afford it. My Lightroom a friend got me to say thank you for some photos I am doing in a couple of months. It's tough when you spend a lot of money on a new Mac and the software you use regularly is a Windows version and then you have to pay out more to get the Mac version. That annoys me. I think Adobe have the right idea with Lightroom, having dual compatibility, shame they didn't do that with Photoshop.

Anyway I've prattled on for long enough. There is my thoughts on the subject.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
where are said bundles

EDIT: scratch this post i saw where he said it already. and my wife is a student. so i am going to try this out.

Places like MacHeist.com or the MacUpdate promo to name a couple..:)

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well in my opinion anythnig freeing available of the internet like pics you can cmd click and save as are in the public domain in my opinion. if the photographers do not want people to have them without paying they should only have a thumbnail of the pic of thwir websites. Their loss really.

And I think Mac users pirate just as much as PC users. Sure it's a little harder to get the Mac goods. But if you know where to look and who to ask it's all there.

But there is the try before you buy aspect of priacy. It's hard to justify paying a high price for a piece of software unless you know 100% it will work for you and you will like it and enjoy using it. And a lot of people don't have the money to waste on try and hope it'll be good. in the music store you can listen to a cd before you but it. And same as a movie, you have the cinema as a preview before you buy the dvd. But for msot software there is no useful trial or demo for the people to try. And the ones that do exist are so crippled, that it's impossible to judge anything by it.

So I think more useful software trials/demos are needed. And that'll help with software piracy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.