• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do PC users commit piracy more than Mac users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5inch iMac; 4GB RAM; 3.06 Intel Duo
Well in my opinion anythnig freeing available of the internet like pics you can cmd click and save as are in the public domain in my opinion. if the photographers do not want people to have them without paying they should only have a thumbnail of the pic of thwir websites. Their loss really.

Would you go into an exhibition and take the picture off the wall? Or take in a camera and photograph it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'd do neither. I'd buy a print from the art gallery tourist shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5inch iMac; 4GB RAM; 3.06 Intel Duo
I'd do neither. I'd buy a print from the art gallery tourist shop.

So it isn't acceptable to do that but it is acceptable to do it online?

Do you see what I am saying? The artwork in the gallery is in public domain, doesn't mean it is acceptable to take it. Even less to take it and then claim it is yours. People take photos and then don't add a link saying who it is by or anything like that.

Anyway I am taking this discussion away from the intent so I will stop now.

Reaction score
Let just say jail breaking an iphone is not worth the crap that could happen like losing your list of contacts. Support your developer.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Let just say jail breaking an iphone is not worth the crap that could happen like losing your list of contacts. Support your developer.

You didn't read the whole thread, did you? :)

Regards

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would say yes, there is more Windows Piracy for the simple reason is there are more Windows computers out there and a lot more Software to try and steal!

I have noticed over the years that overall I have found Mac users more supportive of Apple and Software developers. That might just be my experience but it's what I have noticed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
So it isn't acceptable to do that but it is acceptable to do it online?

Do you see what I am saying? The artwork in the gallery is in public domain, doesn't mean it is acceptable to take it. Even less to take it and then claim it is yours. People take photos and then don't add a link saying who it is by or anything like that.

Anyway I am taking this discussion away from the intent so I will stop now.

Well this arguement is about is it ok to take the picture for yourself? And I think it is ok. If people want to take a photo of the painting in the art gallery that's totally ok. Cause the artwork is on public display. Same as the picture on the artists website. I see what your saying but I don't agree exactly. It's acceptable to do it online and in the real world.

In my opinion the owness is on the photographer/painter etc to make sure the finished lifesize work is not in the public domain. It's the same as Application developers. They don't let you try (or have in the public domain), full versions of their apps. No, then no one would buy it. They only have a demo/trial in the public domain for everyone to try. And if you want the full App you pay for it.

And artists need to act the same way with their work. It's their loss really. And yes many gallerys in my country have a no photograph policy. So you can look at the works but if you want one for home it's buy a print.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It's different if I'm saving a picture to use it for my own personal use (wallpaper or display in my house). However when I save the picture and redistribute it or try and make a profit off of it then I can see where photographers will have a problem.

C

chas_m

In my many years of experience helping clients with both PCs and Macs, there is definitely a difference of attitude regarding piracy.

PC users, by and large, are barely aware that they ARE pirating. Apart from games, they simply do not understand the concept of paying for software. At all.

Naturally, this attitude then extends to music, movies ... anything digital really.

It's been my experience that most PC users are *appallingly* ignorant of the very CONCEPT of copyright, let alone how it affects them -- with one exception of course: a PC users who actually CREATES SOMETHING. Then suddenly its a HUGE issue ...

Mac users I find are (once they reach a certain age) able to appreciate what goes into making a piece of software or art, and tend to want to pay for what they use. Young people, less so; older people, more so. Maybe its just life experience, or maybe its because most Mac users *are* Mac users because they actually CREATE THINGS OF REAL VALUE, and so they reach that awareness long before your average solitaire-playing housewife.

I used to think that these general observations meant that Mac users were "superior," but over time I've fallen away from that view and more towards the "don't know any better" line of thinking.

I still think Mac users are superior, but for different reasons nowadays. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Impossible to know... Software piracy is a crime of theft. Thieves generally don't accurately report their criminal metrics, thus making it difficult to gauge. I'd propose that a certain percentage of the overall population will steal a given item under various circumstances (means, opportunity, motive). Apply that percentage to number of individuals the segment of the population you are interested in, and you would probably have the number of thieves in that demographic. My thought would be that, by and large, PC users are no more or less honest than non-PC users overall when viewed in aggregate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Going nowhere time to close mods.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.