Apple TV- Sync question

Reaction score
Eustis Florida (50 miles north of Orlando)
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz/4GB/750GB WD HDD
I have my itunes library on my mbp. I'm beginning to run out of space in my hard drive. Can I manually sync the apple tv (drag and drop) like movies and such when I get them, then once they're saved to the apple tv, delete them from my macbook to save space? or will this cause some kind of conflict.
Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Once you delete something from the iTune library it will be deleted from all other devices on the next sync.

OP
vrsantana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So is there a way to have like a separate itunes library like on a external drive connected to my router just for the appletv? I'm doing this mainly to free up space and to have my movies in itunes not take up all the space in my laptop.
BTW, thanks for replying to my question. I'm just at wits end trying to figure out the best way to configure this thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Well, what I have done is connected 3 1TB drives to my Airport router. My main iTunes library is on one so I have no iTunes library taking up room on my MBP. The other drives are for TimeMachine and one for my girlfriends TM and iTunes. Everything works great. The only problem you run into is when you want to leave the house with your laptop and want your iTunes. But that is what the iPod and iPhone are for...

OP
vrsantana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect. So the apple tv would read off that itunes library I'd have on an external drive on the aiport extreme. Also, would a 1TB or 2TB time machine work with this type of set up as well? Just considering my options since I will be needing to upgrade from my 500gb my book to a larger HD soon.
Thanks again for your replies.

OP
vrsantana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad, time capsule. not time machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The AppleTV would not be able to read directly from the HDs. You still have to sync or at least have iTunes running on the computer for streaming. If the TimeCapsule has a USB port then it probably will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.