PowerPC G5 Dual giving Video problems

Reaction score
Ok, I am a new MAC user and I would appreciate any help. Recently I got possession of a used PowerPC G5 Dual Processor around 2.0 GHz. It has ADC (says 1) and DVI-I Port (says 2). Now, the machine did not come with a HDD. So i went and got one, installed, hooked up the keyboard, mouse and ....the monitor via DVI-I --> to --> VGA to a VGA monitor. When turn on the machine, I dont see anything on the monitor. So my question is....

1. How do I know that the adapter is ok. the seller told that this works and he has been using the apple cinema display on DVI
2. Since I am installing and OS, what are the chances that vidoe port 1 will only work...in which case I need to go treasure hunt to get and ADC monitor.
3. I am using ACER monitor. I am using a generic DVI-I to VGA convertor cable. Does this cable need to be Apple specific....i.e. get one from apple store?

any other pointers you can give me would help me.

Thanks a bunch...

Joe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And have you Apple Partition Mapped the drive in Partition, even if for a single partition, and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) from say a Leopard full retail install DVD?

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys for the pointers. I finally go hold of an ADC monitor, hooked it up and i can see the monitor lit up with a tiny folder like icon in the center. I assume this is because the HDD i installed is bare non-formatted.

I now have a CD for OS X but how do i begin install? for example, in case of PCs it boots from cd rom and begins installation. What do I do for MAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Power On the G5 and pop in the install disk and hold the C key and it will boot off the disk, but you will need a working monitor to complete the install, but that will be self evident after you have booted off the install disk.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only modern display I have ever had issues with on a Mac was this AWFUL Westinghouse 22". It worked fine with an DVI to VGA adapter but not directly into the DVI port! Did a google search and many Windows people had the same issues. Turned out the display did not like some video cards using DVI. That Acer display should work. I have known many with a Dual G5 (first gen with the ADC and DVI ports) and they had no issues.

Is the Acer an older CRT or newer Flat Panel display?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The folder is telling you have no operating system installed on the hard drive. Do as Collin suggests booting from an OS X install DVD, preferable Leopard OS X.5, or Tiger OS X.4 at the earliest, holding down 'C' after the chime. Go into Utilities and select Disk Utility, erase the drive if a used drive, partition using Apple Partition Map as suggested and choose format as Mac OS Extended.

Now back to Installer and proceed with the install.

One word of caution. If you need to purchase a Leopard or Tiger install DVD, do not buy a silver grey model specific disc. Must be the black full retail install version. System specific discs about on auctions sites under various name , back up, system restore, system install, drop in etc etc.

The beauty of the Apple Direct Connect (ADC) system was that the power, signal and USB connection are all carried on that one cable. No need for separate mains power etc.

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.