Quicktime Multiple Instances ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its big white and awesome and has a matching phone :)
I recently managed to get Quicktime to play mp3s automatically when clicked on, having managed to get them out of iTunes clutches.

I am a DJ so listen to loads of new music quickly, so QT is ideal.

Having a new QT window open when I click on a new song, however, isnt.

How do I run it so that I can just use one instance of the program??

Quicktime Player Version 10.0 (90.3.1)
Mac OS X Version 10.6.2

relative newcomer to Mac (and iPhone :) ) although not newcomer to computers in general, so replies dont have to technically be in idiot speak - I know what Terminal is :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't know if you can stop that in QuickTime X. It does not have some of the same preferences as QuickTime 7 and earlier did. Check for QT Player 7 in Applications/Utilities If you have that, here's what to do:
1. Right-click one of your music files and choose Open With then QuickTime Player 7 If you like the way that controller behaves continue to step 2. If not this fix won't work.
2. With QuickTime Player 7 open choose the Preferences. In the General section uncheck the option that says Open Movies in New Player.
3. Now assign your music to open in QuickTime 7 Player.

OP
Stickyspanner
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its big white and awesome and has a matching phone :)
Yay!

thanks - that worked - OK its not as nice a looking player as QT X, but functionality is the key here.

Now all working as hoped - thanks for the help.

Now, hmm, how do we skin QT 7 to look like X :)

oh - liking your website Slydude - nice desktops on it

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad that worked out. I like the QuickTime X player as well I just wish it had the same level of preference controls that the previous version had. the difference is more noticeable if you had the pro version of QT7.

Thanks for the kind words about the site. Those desktops are often contributed by users/readers so feel free to submit any interesting ones you've taken.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.