iTunes automatically plays downloaded music??!

Reaction score
Hi there. This is getting really annoying. Whenever I download music off the net, it will automatically open up my itunes and start playing the song. If another one finishes downloading, it will cut the first one mid play and start the one that just finished downloading.

This is non-stop. I would like to know if anyone knows how to disable this very annoying 'feature' if you will.

I just don't want itunes to open up and play everything each time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
are you using limewire or frostwire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Look in your preferences for your browser. You can disable this feature easily enough.
Somewhere there will be a tab that says something along the lines of" automatically import into iTunes".
Also look in iTunes to see whether you have auto play new imports ticked somewhere.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hi there. This is getting really annoying. Whenever I download music off the net, it will automatically open up my itunes and start playing the song. If another one finishes downloading, it will cut the first one mid play and start the one that just finished downloading.

This is non-stop. I would like to know if anyone knows how to disable this very annoying 'feature' if you will.

I just don't want itunes to open up and play everything each time.

The setting you want is in Safari for this one. Open up Safari Preferences and uncheck "Open 'safe' files after downloading". This will allow you to download and then you can batch move them to iTunes afterwards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.