How To Lock Folders For Privacy ???

Reaction score
Hi

I recently added personal information to a file that I would like to keep private in a folder, i double clicked the file > get information > and checked the Locked box. a lock icon appears next to the folder but the folder does not lock, each time I attempt to open the folder it opens.. what am I doing wrong? :Grimmace:

C

chas_m

"Locking" a folder only prevents you from writing anything new to it, not viewing its contents.

What you want is a password-protected or encrypted folder. You can create one via third party programs like Cryptor (and there are many others), or if you can create an encrypted disk image that can expand in size via Disk Utility.

Be careful of programs that offer to make your secure folders invisible -- unless you REALLY trust your memory!! :)

Bottom line, however, is that you can achieve much BETTER security on your data by simply not allowing anyone else physical access to your account. Set them up with their own account instead -- they won't be able to access your data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
There is software (Like Espionage) out there that will let you lock a folder with a password, a much better solution would be to put those file(s) into a secure DMG.
Follow these instructions on how to create a secure DMG.

EDIT: Chas beat me to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hi

I recently added personal information to a file that I would like to keep private in a folder, i double clicked the file > get information > and checked the Locked box. a lock icon appears next to the folder but the folder does not lock, each time I attempt to open the folder it opens.. what am I doing wrong? :Grimmace:

Take a step back man ....

Maybe you should start by explaining what it is that you are trying to achieve.
Give us a description of your ' problem space ' instead of immediately jumping into the ' solution space '.
Confidentiality of data / information can be achieved in a number of ways, and each of them has pro's and con's.

What are the threats that you are concerned about ?

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
McBie has it right, a description of what type of content you are attempting to protect, why and from whom would provide better solutions.

For much of the simple private data, using Secure Notes in Keychain may be all you need. No one would be able to access it without your password.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
What you want is a password-protected or encrypted folder. You can create one via third party programs like Cryptor

Thanks! Chas, will download and install. I luv this forum, each time i post a question i receive an immediate response, you're all very supportive, thanks to the Mac Forum community. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It would be a nice feature for OS X to have though, considering it is such a simple feature! "Password to open this file"
....and before anyone reads this and harps on about me wanting my Mac to behave like windozzzzze, don't bother, as you would be totally mistaken ;P

I have only the one admin account and do let my trusted friends (I have only trusted friends) use my Mac.
I do have my backups, so if anything were accidently altered, it would be no biggy at all, and I have nothing so sensitive that if discovered by prying eyes, or modified, would be the end of my world.
As I say, I have my backups, as well as extra backups of my musical recordings, but it does seem silly to me that if I were to want just one file or folder protected that I would have to set up a new account, use an encrypted disk image, or a third party app to create an encrypted folder!
Also, "yes, I will send Apple another suggestion" LOL

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
It would be a nice feature for OS X to have though, considering it is such a simple feature! "Password to open this file"
But it does seem silly to me that if I were to want just one file or folder protected that I would have to set up a new account, use an encrypted disk image, or a third party app to create an encrypted folder!
I agree 6string. :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
For the ladies out there who want to hide personal flies from us guys, just label the folder "Instruction Manuals" and we'll stay far away from it. ;D

Unfortunately for us guys, I don't think there's an equally effective solution...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
for the ladies out there who want to hide personal flies from us guys, just label the folder "instruction manuals" and we'll stay far away from it. ;d

unfortunately for us guys, i don't think there's an equally effective solution...

lol :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
For the ladies out there who want to hide personal flies from us guys, just label the folder "Instruction Manuals" and we'll stay far away from it. ;D

Unfortunately for us guys, I don't think there's an equally effective solution...

Oh really ? How about :

" Fantasy *your choice of sport here* League Stats "

Doug

Reaction score
Making folders private

Take a step back man ....

Maybe you should start by explaining what it is that you are trying to achieve.
Give us a description of your ' problem space ' instead of immediately jumping into the ' solution space '.
Confidentiality of data / information can be achieved in a number of ways, and each of them has pro's and con's.

What are the threats that you are concerned about ?

Cheers ... McBie

Thanks McBie - hope you can help - just moved to Mac.
Got an iMac 3 weeks ago and am in discovery mode. I need to take it back to iStore to sort out a problem (Mac wont update) and while there they can also install new OS Lion.
On purchase the iStore helped move all Window Files and Outlook to iMac - all ok.
How would I go about giving the technician access to iMac to perform the above tasks without having access to items like iTunes/MacMail/DocumentFolders etc.
I understand that to change OS to Lion he needs access -
If the above can be done while I wait - I may not be so concerned - however, if I have to leave the Mac overnight then I would like to have the areas of concern well protected.
Can you suggest or recommend an easy to use and effective solution?
Much appreciated, TIA
Haz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.