HP 1012 can't print with airport express /snow leopard

Reaction score
Just got a macbook pro with 10.6.2 and I can't seem to print wirelessly with my HP 1012. The printer works fine via usb cable but that's a hassle that because my other two ibooks work with the airport express and rely on the usb cable being plugged into the airport express.
I've heard that HP hasn't made a driver for 10.6.2 that works for anything but a USB-connected printer, thus leaving the wireless solution non-functional.
Anyone know a workaround on this one, or any solutions? (Besides buying a printer that works wirelessly with the macbook pro and the ibooks)
Thank you
Fireape

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have found that when multiple computers and in some cases multiple OS's are involved
nothing bets a wired networking printer.

OP
F
Reaction score
No workaround? / Printer suggestions

I appreciate that observation, but ideally I'm hoping for an alternative to buying another printer. Just because I jump from tiger to leopard on one machine and suddenly I have to buy a new printer is frustrating and draining on the wallet.

While I'm still hungry for a workaround, if the situation ends up requiring me to get a new printer, which B&W Laserjets would you recommend that would print via airport express / across two G4 ibooks (each 10.4.11) and 1 macbook pro (10.6.2)? Not looking for colour or inkjet nor big pricetag.

Thanks,
Fireape

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Did you go to HP's site and see if there is an updated driver also if you read the fixes
in 10.6.3 which will be out any day now it states in one of the builds more driver support
for third party printers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a feeling it's what you said in your first post. HP driver support for older printers in new versions of OSX is not very good. Like you said, some drivers don't want to network print. My friend has a 1010 I believe and the 1012 came out later. I was going to get one but at the time it said right on the box, no OSX support, so I backed off and bought a Brother that works great in 10.6.2 either via Network or USB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.