Power Mac Dual G5 2.7GHz Ordered...

S

SSonnentag

I guess I qualify to post in the "Switcher" forum. I've been running DOS/Windows/Linux on Intel and AMD systems since 1989. I'm an SGI IRIX and Linux System Administrator, but have been running Windows at home on all my computers ever since Microsoft put a GUI on top of DOS.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my new machine. I'm expecting reliability, stability, speed and Photoshop support. :) Being able to run a 64-bit OS and apps AND Photoshop were my two main criteria in selecting my new Mac. Dual processors should eliminate the stutter I hate so much when multitasking.

So have I made a good choice? :biohazard

Shawn

PS Oh, I purchased the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra video card upgrade option also.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Congrats on your new purchase :)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
SSonnentag said:
So have I made a good choice? :biohazard

It's gonna blow your socks off!

You did of course get two 30 inch monitors to go with it .... :p

Amen-Moses

OP
S

SSonnentag

No, I already have two 24-inch LCD monitors (1920x1200) connected to my PC that the Mac will be replacing. They'll have to be good enough for now. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
hmm you come from a background like me so be prepard for things to be done alot easier that you think ;)

have fun with it though i know i would

OP
B

badmojo

SSonnentag said:
So have I made a good choice?

Coming from a new switcher, you've made the best choice. There will be a couple bumps along the way, but if your experience is anything like mine, you'll be impressed, overall. Very impressed. The only dissappointment I have was not switching sooner.

By the way, you've also found the best Apple-oriented forum.

OP
S

swanny338

I also just switched from PC to Mac with a Dual 2.7Ghz. This dual 2.7 is my first mac and I am loving it. I had actually purchased a dual 2.5Ghz, but I got an email one day saying I had been upgraded to a dual 2.7, man did that make me happy.

Congrats on your purchase
btw, I too have a background in linux, it really helps

edit: thought you should know, my main use for it is photoshop, premiere, illustrator, and c1 pro.... they all work like a dream on my mac

OP
Z

zap2

best choice u ever made, my imac g5 is nice this thing should handle all ur needs if not more is its (for u)slow just spend a few $$$ on RAM)

how much ram will u have???? i have 1gb, i say u should get 2gb for all hat stuff ur doing( go to Crucial.com( cheap, good ram)

OP
S

SSonnentag

I ordered it with 2GB of RAM (2 1GB sticks), but I have 6 more DDR 400 1GB sticks here waiting to install as soon as I receive the computer. So I'll have a total of 8GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
That's some SERIOUS COMPUTING, DUDE... I got a 2.3 Ghz dual coming with a 23" screen and I'm dropping in an extra 2 gigs of RAM (for 2.5 total.) I'd have bought the 2.7, but I just *had* to have the 23" Apple screen (call it vanity or whatever.) Anyway, good luck- maybe we can compare notes on here when we both start using our new sysems!

EDIT: Comparison may be a misnomer. Your system is gonna kick the crap out of mine- that's really saying something, cause my system isn't exactly run-of-the-mill, either.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
SSonnentag said:
I ordered it with 2GB of RAM (2 1GB sticks), but I have 4 more DDR 400 1GB sticks here waiting to install as soon as I receive the computer. So I'll have a total of 6GB.

Sounds pretty good, will you be editing the next Harry Potter film with it or something?
:p

Today I was toodling around on the IBM site and found a 64 processor Power5 (the Power5 is the 970's big brother) system with 1 TerraByte of RAM! Only 2 million Euros, maybe I'll buy one. :dummy:

Amen-Moses

OP
E

EvoMac

Congrats on your new purchase... you definitly got yourself a reliable workhorse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
a very good choice, i don't think i would of went with such an expensive computer for my first mac... even though you will deffinatly like it... congrats on the purchase my friend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.