• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Amazon the cry babies .... :'( :'( :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well this just reeks of school yard politics ...... Amazon by the look of it are going down the (IMO) childish school yard route ... If you wont be my friend, I wont be your's ......
Made me sick reading this, having such a large co-operation stooping so low as to try and use these Childish tactics ....

Amazon being childish :'( :'( :'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Typical Amazon approach. "Play ball our way or go home." :Angry-Tongue:

BTW, why didn't you post this in Rumors?

Regards.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Hmm well that is the question .... Had a huge day, late night and didnt even register, and it not so much a  rumour..... Best thought it in OHHH just looked, i really thought it was in Anything Goes ... :( My bad Please move to appropriate forum please ..
Sorry From me :'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're forgiven. ;D I can't recall how many times I had a late night and then tried to catch up on work. Matter of fact, last night (Friday here in Texas) was one of those nights.

And to top that off, it's freezing cold here this morning after raining all night. Crazy Texas weather! :Angry-Tongue:

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram
Well this just reeks of school yard politics ...... Amazon by the look of it are going down the (IMO) childish school yard route ... If you wont be my friend, I wont be your's ......
Made me sick reading this, having such a large co-operation stooping so low as to try and use these Childish tactics ....

Amazon being childish :'( :'( :'(
What do you think about the speculation that apple may ditch google as the default search in favour of bing shortly after google released the nexus, arguably the phone most likely to rival the iphone?

C

chas_m

I don't think that's very likely (Apple ditching Google).

Apple has some issues with some *parts* of Google, just like it has some issues with some *parts* of Adobe and some *parts* of Microsoft. But Apple generally "plays well with others" overall, so I think the press is making this out to be a LOT bigger than it actually is (thanks to their need for continual "drama").

The Nexus One has turned out to be a huge flop (135,000 sold in the first 75 days compared to 1M for iPhone and Droid in their respective first offerings), so I'm guessing the "anger" Apple may have had over the blatant stealing has subsided quite a bit. :)

PS. The chart I linked to there is a *little* misleading, since it doesn't make clear that Apple's iPhone achieved its first million in sales two years ago versus the Droid. The Droid benefitted tremendously from the vastly expanded "smartphone" market the iPhone created, which makes Apple's achievement actually much more impressive than it looks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram
I think the nexus was always going to struggle early on, it was entering at a time when most people who wanted a smartphone had one, a situation the iphone didn't really have to worry about. Google are in for the long haul though and already have a very capable phone.

My question really wasn't about the success of the nexus though, it was a question regarding peoples attitudes if the speculation was accurate and apple did drop google as the default search. Would it be "school yard politics" or would people rationalise it in a way which would allow them to defend apple for doing something equally childish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
What is meant by "an agency model" exactly? Cause it's Apple's agency model Amazon do not like.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What is meant by "an agency model" exactly? Cause it's Apple's agency model Amazon do not like.

Yep, without this explanation the article means nothing to me.

I would think this has to do with how the publisher is compensated along with what percentage of/and the selling price. Amazon has every right to have their own business model that makes sense for them. If enough publishers find that it's not fair and/or just don't like it and/or are able to sell their books in quantity without Amazon and leave, then possibly they'll have to rethink their business model.

(Moved to Anything Goes)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Honestly, I think the only reason the N1 tanked was due to the T-Mobile bottleneck. Maybe Google saw T-Mobile as some kind of untapped market for smartphones, but I guess they didn't realize thousands of iPhone are currently be used on T-Mo by unlockers. So people on T-Mo who wanted a smartphone already had one.

It will be interesting to see how it does now that it's available on the rest of the major providers. If Google was smart they would do a media blitz that would basically re-introduce the N1 to the public. That may have been another problem before. Seems like they were relying more on the hype-machine to do their advertising instead of paying for some themselves.

Typical Amazon approach. "Play ball our way or go home." :Angry-Tongue:

Regards.

Actually, I posted something about this 3 days ago in rumors.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/195236-kindle-mac-os-x.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Keep in mind that the Nexus One isn't designed purely for sales, it's more of a showcase phone to push Google's hardware partners like HTC and Motorola so as to prevent stagnation. By having HTC produce the Nexus One, it got HTC to make phones like the HTC Desire, the HTC Supersonic, and others. Motorola will, allegedly, be producing the Nexus Two, so who knows what sort of Android devices we can expect from Motorola in the near future.

While the Nexus One is indeed a failure in sales, it is by no means a failure for Google as it has served its purpose of advancing the platform spectacularly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.