Looking for a Keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4
I have an Intel iMac with the low profile aluminum keyboard. This is a slick looking keyboard but I want something that doesn't feel like you're typing on a laptop. My friend and secretary likes the feel of the IBM or the Dell keyboard. I'm looking at this Logitech keyboard and some on this Mac Mall website.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

ETA: Price range is about $70. Less would be better.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of folks are using the Logitech wired and wireless version of that keyboard and seem to like it. I personally bought a full sized wired Apple aluminum KB instead. Not the best for typing, but I do like its matching design and it was only $49 at Best Buy.

BTW, the full sized Apple wired KB is being offered as an option at no cost when purchasing a new iMac.

Regards.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, chscag.
I always appreciate your sage like suggestions. Why is the Apple aluminum keyboard not the best for typing? I am looking for a full-size keyboard. Is it number three on Amazon. I like the price at $49.
Thanks!
Lots of folks are using the Logitech wired and wireless version of that keyboard and seem to like it. I personally bought a full sized wired Apple aluminum KB instead. Not the best for typing, but I do like its matching design and it was only $49 at Best Buy.

BTW, the full sized Apple wired KB is being offered as an option at no cost when purchasing a new iMac.

Regards.

C

chas_m

I personally like the "chiclet keys" design of recent Apple keyboards (and I do a LOT of writing!!). However that said I am typing this on a many-years-old Apple Pro Keyboard because it's black which matches my computer ensemble. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (late 2009) with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2
You could always try and look for one of those old iMac keyboards that Apple used to manufacture. I would give you mine, but I don't want to ship things.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I want to go with the full size wired Apple keyboard at $49. Right now I can't find it on Amazon.

I'm currently using this one below.

8510328_sa.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
That is the full sized wired apple keyboard isn't it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Calistoga:

The reason I don't like the Apple keyboard for typing is the flat non tactile feedback design of the keys. I type fast by touch and am used to the old fashioned IBM click and whack keyboards. Remember those? Big and heavy but you could really fly on one.

The Apple keyboard slows me down, however, nowadays I seem to be slowing down with everything else anyway..... ;)

Regards.

Reaction score
I'm with Chas on this one the Apple keyboard for all its lovely looks is not as nice as some of its uglier brethren when it comes to typing long documents.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the IBM Keyboards. Those were the days my friend. I would like to find that type of keyboard but without the bulkiness. There must be something out there which is aesthetically pleasing and has the tactile feedback of the IBM.
The reason I don't like the Apple keyboard for typing is the flat non tactile feedback design of the keys. I type fast by touch and am used to the old fashioned IBM click and whack keyboards. Remember those? Big and heavy but you could really fly on one.

The Apple keyboard slows me down, however, nowadays I seem to be slowing down with everything else anyway..... ;)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
You could also take a look at the Macally BT Keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.