Airport Express or Airport Extreme Base Station?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4
I have a first generation Time Capsule (500 GB HD) for my network. All devices on my network are working without issue. However, my Intel iMac which is hardwired has a Transmit Rate of five (not good). Now I am deciding between getting either the Apple Airport Express or the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I do stream video from Time Capsule to my TV in the living room. This is a distance of about 60 feet. My home is on one floor and it is about 1600 ft.². Time Capsule so the TV is almost line of sight. The Intel iMac is not line of sight from Time Capsule. There is a kitchen with a sliding wood door which is sometimes closed. The hallway from my bedroom to the living room is usually unobstructed, but sometimes I have to close the hallway door.

I am leaning towards getting the Apple Airport Express, but the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station has some unique features, i.e. guests network.

Chime in with suggestions if you have any.

Thanks.

Dictated Using MacSpeech Dictate (I see one mistake).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If your looking to extend your wireless the Airport Express should work fine.

Reaction score
Eustis Florida (50 miles north of Orlando)
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz/4GB/750GB WD HDD
I agree, the airport express should suffice. I have one for sale if you're looking to buy one. wireless N model. $75 shipped via UPS. PM me if you're interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
but the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station has some unique features, i.e. guests network
Be aware - The new Guest Network feature is available only to the simultaneous dual-band models of the Extreme N and Time Capsule. Not sure that your 500 TC has that.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be aware - The new Guest Network feature is available only to the simultaneous dual-band models of the Extreme N and Time Capsule. Not sure that your 500 TC has that.
My Time Capsule does not have Extreme N. Does this mean that my first-generation Time Capsule will have issues with the Airport Extreme Base Station?

The Airport Extreme is $50 more than the Airport Express. I was thinking that if my Time Capsule croaks, I could use the Airport Extreme as my router. Is my logic fuzzy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Time Capsule does not have Extreme N. Does this mean that my first-generation Time Capsule will have issues with the Airport Extreme Base Station?

The Airport Extreme is $50 more than the Airport Express. I was thinking that if my Time Capsule croaks, I could use the Airport Extreme as my router. Is my logic fuzzy?

Your thinking is correct you can do a lot of configurations just remember that
whatever is turned on and has the slowest speed everything defaults to that.I
had to correct myself on this the newest Airport Extreme Base Station with simultaneous
radios will work with g and n at the same time.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So Time Capsule will be slowing down Airport Extreme.
Your thinking is correct you can do a lot of configurations just remember that
whatever is turned on and has the slowest speed everything defaults to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So Time Capsule will be slowing down Airport Extreme.

No TC will not slow a new AEBS but TC 500 will slow to g speeds if something is on and using it as soon as the unit with 802.11g is turned off then it should
return to 802.11n if you are using the TC wirelessly and in the menu it is set
to use both g and n. Note in the setup it can be configured to use one or the other or both. While the newer units can do both simultaneously while not
slowing down your faster connection.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No TC will not slow a new AEBS but TC 500 will slow to g speeds if something is on and using it as soon as the unit with 802.11g is turned off then it should
return to 802.11n if you are using the TC wirelessly and in the menu it is set
to use both g and n. Note in the setup it can be configured to use one or the other or both. While the newer units can do both simultaneously while not
slowing down your faster connection.
A laptop on my network using 802.11g will be the default speed for all wireless devices? This is true because Time Capsule, being the older hardware cannot be configured to do both g and n, simultaneously. Take away all wireless devices from the network running 802.11g, and then I'm back to 802.11n.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
A picture is worth a 1000 words - here are my dual band choices;

Click for full size

The one above the one with blue highlight will default to the slowest unit connected to that network viz; 11b or 11g or 11n but the other network will be full time 11n

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I understand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.