Configuring D-Link and Aiport Card

A

anemos

I need help setting up a wireless network so that my 2 eMacs (700MHz) can share the existing DSL Internet connection. One of the eMacs is already connected to the Net via a Westell (Verizon) DSL modem and a D-Link DI-614+ wireless router while on the second eMac I'll install an Airport Card. I know how to install the card but need help in configuring the router (and whatever else I need to) properly. Could someone provide step-by-step instructions? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
if you have one already on the network, copy the setting from the first one to the second one.

OP
A

anemos

fearlessfreap24, thank you for replying but I'm not sure what you mean... What settings should I copy, and how? I'm sorry but when it comes to networking, I'm almost clueless.

OP
B

badmojo

If you are running unsecured on the router the other eMac should pick up the signal automatically after you've installed the Airport card. Fearless is referring to the network settings that are presently on the working eMac (system preferences>network settings).

The router will feed anything willing to pick up its signal. I have three computers in my home all running wirelessly (2 Win XP, 1 iMac). My network is secure so others can't tap in on my signal.

OP
A

anemos

badmojo, thank you for your response.

The connected eMac is hardwired; it is connected to the router, which is connected to the DSL modem. So, you're saying that (if I'm running unsecured on the router -- which I am) once the AirportCard is installed, the second eMac will be connected automatically, right?

Now, what if I want to have a secure network? What do I need to do?

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.