Failed Logic Board: replace?

Reaction score
First of all, I realize there are already a few threads about this- one of them being extremely recent. Because of different circumstances I thought I should make a new thread to get the best advice.

The logic board on my early 2008 2.4 GHz mbp is dead. The repair is quoted at 710$ for parts and 80$ for labor.

My question is: Is it worth it repairing my 2 year old computer, or should I simply wait for the next gen and hope for a price drop?

Either way really hurts as I am a student tight on money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not sure I would bank on a price drop and it will easily cost more than double your repair bill for a new one currently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Tough Call

I feel your pain. I'm still debating about my repair and my machine is 3 1/2 years old and costs $506 . . .

From what everyone's telling me it's a tough call. For a new machine you'll be paying possibly double the repair, but the trade off is you'll have the newest machine with all the upgrades that have come out since then.

You also have the option to try to sell your macbook for parts where you could get maybe $150 to help with the cost of your next one.

That's what most people have been throwing my way. I'm a poor college student too so either way it's rough.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is: Is it worth it repairing my 2 year old computer, or should I simply wait for the next gen and hope for a price drop?

$790.00 to repair a two year old machine? For that kind of money you can purchase a very good used Mac or a brand new PC. Do the work yourself and buy a used logic board.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
$790.00 to repair a two year old machine? For that kind of money you can purchase a very good used Mac or a brand new PC. Do the work yourself and buy a used logic board.

Regards.

I agree buy the logic board do it yourself and save a lot of money, Plus it's fun tearing Macs apart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
$790.00 to repair a two year old machine? For that kind of money you can purchase a very good used Mac [/URL].

Regards.

The 1st in line at the US Refurb store

20100320-184yrxefipq9ricggd2awfw5ex.jpg

And the site address ... US Refurb Store

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.