RAM Timing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I was looking at at getting an additional 1GB for my iMac and I am not going to purchase it from apple for a whopping $300, so off to newegg I go.

I was curious about the timing that they have listed for different chips such as:

Timing: 3-4-4-8
Timing: 2.5-3-3-7
Timing: 3-3-3

What do these numbers mean?

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
RGertner said:
I was looking at at getting an additional 1GB for my iMac and I am not going to purchase it from apple for a whopping $300, so off to newegg I go.

I was curious about the timing that they have listed for different chips such as:

Timing: 2.5-3-3-7
Timing: 3-3-3

What do these numbers mean?

Thanks,
Ray

Those are timing numbers usually related to high speed chips like gamers use to overclock their systems. You really don't need to worry about them as the Mac uses a standard ram. What you want are Pc3200 400 mhz unbuffered Cl3 ram.

NewEgg has some good deals on that type of ram. They have 1 gig Corsair ValueSelect for about $95, very good quality ram that works just great with the Mac. They also have some Rosewell 1 gig chips for about $85 that will work with the Mac.

Another good choice is Crucial, which has a good rep on the Mac, cost you a tad more, but everyone that uses them likes em.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.