iTunes adding video problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Hi all.

I've recently re-set up my iTunes so that the iTunes file is on my laptop, along with the podcasts, BUT the videos of various sorts and everything else are on an external drive. This have been done with symbiotic links (advanced aliases)

Everything works fine... as far as I'm aware... apart from when I want to add content to my itunes.

When dragging a video off my desktop into the iTunes window, I get the following error message:

Picture1.png

Now, I expect this is because although itunes can run the video through these alias links, it's not working with adding files through it...

Any way to fix this?

Additionally, is there another way to add the videos directly to the itunes library folder system (copying directly to the external hard drive) and then adding it to the library itself somehow so it shows up in my itunes?

Thanks very much!

Jonik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
Well whenever you add something to iTunes it automatically makes a copy of the item to the folder Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. So theoretically I wouldn't think it's possible to have part of the library saved somewhere else.

You said you accomplished this using aliases. Does that mean you replaced a folder like movies with an alias to a movies folder in your external hard drive? Could you explain that a little more? If what I said is the case then it's possible that iTunes doesn't want to save to an alias. I suppose for each video you download you could make a new movies folder so iTunes could save it there. Then you could drag it into your alias to your external drive's movie folder and delete the one on your computer. That's sorta complicated, but I'm not sure I understand your problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe these will help :)

Symbolic link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Picture1-1.png

As you can see, there are 'alias' looking files moving content to an external drive. These are symlinks, which work flawlessly apart from this new error message!

I'm not sure whether the problem was there immediately after setting up the links... as I've lost track of time of when I set it up, and the last time I added files.

In fact.. it worked the other day when adding previously ripped CD tracks into my iTunes, and as CD is external, it might be a new issue.

I have tried a restart and that did not solve the problem.

Thanks

C

chas_m

I have to point out that "working flawlessly apart from this new error message" means, in point of fact, that it's NOT "working flawlessly."

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, by turning off 'keep files organised' and 'copy to itunes library' I can move the files manually to my external, and then add them to the library by cmd+o.

That works, but its a shame I can't drag into the library anymore...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.