• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft and Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I have a quick question. I really do not know all the information / History around the Microsoft Anti Trust case, but it was my understanding that one of the key items involved with this case what how all the software that is pre-packaged with the Windows Operating system such as IE, Windows Media Player, etc, reduced or hindered competition.

when I was looking at my iMac and how perfectly integrated everything works between all the apps that were preloaded on my system, I had to wonder how is Apple package for Mac OS X and Windows XP really any different? They both come with WebBrowsers, Media Players, etc.

I'm not bashing either side and like I said, I definately don't have all the information on the topic, just what I remembered from when it was in the news a few years ago. But I was just curious.

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i think that most mac people dont care because everything works well together; therefore, mac people dont tend to complain as much as ms people. just my own theory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
The difference is the size/share of the market and of course the amount money. Also, as far as i remember, that problem came just after Microsoft started the idea of having alltoghether in the OS package. Also it wasn't only because of Windows but because of Office too and the series of upgrades that came after Windows 98 and Office 98(?).
I had the same idea as you, if you see an average Mac, the hardware is made by Apple, the OS is made by Apple, the internet related software is made by Apple and so on, even the accesories are madeby Apple, it is not that i complain about it, as you say fearlessfreap24, it works, and works great, but is still only a little, very little piece of the cake.

Edit: Another important factor was the kernel of Windows and Office, as you know this is not the problem with Apple/Mac OS or Linux. As i understand Mac OS is open-source while Windows is... well open for every hacker with free time but not open-source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
mac OS isnt Open Source, i wish it was in some aspects but far from open source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Also, couldn't you delete Safari and use a different browser? You cannot delet IE, it is a vital part of the Windows OS, so you have to have it on your computer even if you wish to use something else. You have to ship with a browser even if just so the user can use it one time to navigate to the site to download thier prefered browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
mraya said:
The difference is the size/share of the market and of course the amount money. Also, as far as i remember, that problem came just after Microsoft started the idea of having alltoghether in the OS package. Also it wasn't only because of Windows but because of Office too and the series of upgrades that came after Windows 98 and Office 98(?).

That's the gist of it. Microsoft has a monopoly; there is essentially no competition in the desktop OS market.

Microsoft can use its control to block competitors from entering the market.

Apple's share is relatively tiny.

Compare this to the AT&T antitrust trial in the 80s. AT&T controlled the telephone system; if you wanted a phone, you had to play by AT&T's rules.

Of course, there were smaller independent phone companies (GTE, Sprint) that did exactly the same things AT&T did, but they weren't put on trial, because they weren't monopolies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
correct you can delete all of the applications in mac osx if u wanted to, and ude still have a good running OS. Microsoft, you start deleting things and shiz just goes bad.. not that u can remove most stuff neways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.