iMac humming/buzzing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
27" C2D iMac... Whenever I shut down there is a seemingly electronic buzzing/humming noise coming from the top left of the machine. If I pull the plug while it is off, a split second later the sound stops and also right when I press the power button to turn it on, the sound stops immediately. So the noise is only made when the machine is shut down and left plugged in, does anyone know whats going on? Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry, new to forums and just figured I would get a better response or answers if I gave it another try

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No..if you want to bump up your old thread, you can do so adding any new things you've found or respond to questions that were asked..

Regards

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It also now does it when the computer is put to sleep. But when just the display is put to sleep, it does not make the noise. I have become very confused and annoyed by this issue. I have been pulling the plug every night because I don't think it is good for it to be sitting here buzzing all night? It can't be normal

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How loud is the buzzing/humming and how new is the iMac? If it's easy to reproduce, then definitely take it an Apple store and show it to them so they can fix it for you..

Regards

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is not that loud at all, easily covered up by tv or fan or any other noise. I didn't unplug it last night and I noticed when I woke up that the sound was gone so at some point over the night it just stopped on its own. But I shut it off again and it still makes it so I am not sure how long it takes for it to stop but eventually it does I guess

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.