• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Inexpensive video capture for Mac.

Reaction score
Hey guys. Was hoping someone can recommend a solution for me. I have a 12" PowerBook, all I want to do is be able to transfer shows and movies from my PVR over SVIDEO to my PowerBook to burn them to DVD. For PC, I've found so many USB2.0 dongles to SVIDEO for only $60cad. They only seem to be for PC though. All the Mac capture devices I find are actual boxes and such. I really don't need anything incredibly advanced since it's just digital cable getting burned to DVD. Is there anything that anyone can recommend? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
leemoreau said:
Hey guys. Was hoping someone can recommend a solution for me. I have a 12" PowerBook, all I want to do is be able to transfer shows and movies from my PVR over SVIDEO to my PowerBook to burn them to DVD. For PC, I've found so many USB2.0 dongles to SVIDEO for only $60cad. They only seem to be for PC though. All the Mac capture devices I find are actual boxes and such. I really don't need anything incredibly advanced since it's just digital cable getting burned to DVD. Is there anything that anyone can recommend? Thanks!

check out the interView at www.xlr8.com or www.4daystar.com. It is only USB 1 I think, but is supposed to work very well (just lower res. or FPS than the FWboxes) Good luck.

OP
E
Reaction score
Okay thanks I will. Maybe I'm mistaken here though. It says this captures at 320x240. I have digital cable so I'd like to keep the same resolution. I'm using svideo right now, is standard digital cable at 320x240? It's not HD just regular digital. Is that maybe why some of these devices are so cheap since the resolution is so low?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
leemoreau said:
Okay thanks I will. Maybe I'm mistaken here though. It says this captures at 320x240. I have digital cable so I'd like to keep the same resolution. I'm using svideo right now, is standard digital cable at 320x240? It's not HD just regular digital. Is that maybe why some of these devices are so cheap since the resolution is so low?
Mybe a video proffesional can help out here, 'cause I don't know for sure. I think screen resolution tends to be more like 800x600.

All of the really cheap dongles I've seen (mac and PC) are low res. compared with video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.