imac and wireless router

K

kbrower

I was searching for some information on wireless routers for the imac and came across your chat on Mac Forums. I just signed up with Verizon to provide internet access and email accounts. They gave me a wireless router for my emac and pc and imac. The main router is connected to the emac and a wireless device to the pc but the other wireless device doesn't work on the imac. They suggested I purchase one at a retail store that will support the imac. Can you suggest one? I have one of the older imacs (grape). I just upgraded the system to panther and the memory to 156M.

Verizon said their software will work on the imac but not the hardware.

Thanks.

Kelly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
do you have an airport card in your iMac?

OP
B

badmojo

You'll probably need a USB Wireless Adapter for the iMac G3. Make sure it's Mac compatible, though. There was no Airport card for those models, as I recall.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The Dlink dwl-122 should work if it is still available.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe you stated that you have a wireless router, so all you need is a wireless card. Or in this case an USB wireless adapter.

OP
K

kbrower

wireless router for imac

Yes. I have a D-Link AirPlus Extreme DI-624 wireless router that Verizon provided. It is hooked up to my emac via hard wire. I was also given a D-Link wireless USB adapter that Verizon says will not work with my iMac but now I wonder if they are correct? Maybe I just need the Airport card?

Kelly

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which model is the Dlink wireless USB adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
kbrower said:
the model number is DWL-G120

To the best of my knowledge, that model is not Mac compatible. The DWL-122 is, and you can find the driver for it on the D-Link website.

OP
K

kbrower

So if I purchase the DWL-122 USB adapter, will this work with the D-Link wireless router I have (DI-624)? Do I also need an airport card for my imac?

thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your router is connected to your eMac and PC, then you will connect your iMac using the Dlink USB wireless adapter.

OP
K

kbrower

well, I spoke with D-Link and they currently do not have any USB wireless adapters that work with the macs. I guess I will now try Apple and see if they can suggest one.

thanks for your help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds link Dlink has discontinued the dwl-122, which was Apple compatible.

OP
K

kbrower

Thanks.

I ended up ordering the D-Link DWL-810 Ethernet Wireless Adapter as suggested by the MacMall salesman. He said the reviews are favorable and he guarantees that it will work with the imac 333mhz.

Thanks again. I guess D-Link salesmen don't know their product very well.

By the way, Apple wasn't very much help either. They said that they doubt that there is an adapter made for that old of a machine like the imac 333mhz.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.