iPod creates several folders for one album

Reaction score
When I use my iPod to sync an album playlist from iTunes, if the songs on the album were acquired from various sources, I will end up with more than one folder for that album. Of course what I'm saying is that this happens even when the artist and album titles for all songs are identical.

For example, for one album just one song was purchased from a different source from the rest; the album has seven songs. On the iPod the album appears twice and on one it says there are six songs, and on the other it says one song. But both playlists contain all seven songs.

It's not that big a deal except in that it does take up unnecessary space on my 4G player. Yesterday I synced an album and ended up with four of them with 5, 2, 1 & 1 songs respectively listed for each album, but they each have all 9 songs. I'd be grateful if anyone could solve this riddle.

I have:
Mac OSX 10.4.11
iPod 3rd gen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.