• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anti-Malware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage
A friend of mine asked me to fix her computer, I guess she got some sort of a bug. Previously I would have just downloaded Spybot (SAD) but I've heard that its reputation has gone down over the years, and being on a Mac I've kind of been out of the anti-malware game.

What are people using most now?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the most effective tool I've found in recent years. The free version does everything you need.

Malwarebytes.org

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
@ Kash thanks ;)
No post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think a lot of people here will say get rid of it.
Have a read of The official Mac antivirus and firewall FAQ.
It was written a while ago but still pertains to now as well.
There isnt anything (as we know it), out there to harm your Mac. There was 1 trojan in a Torrent dl of iLife 09.
Would be more of a help if you posted the sort of bug you think you have. Then people can advise you a bit better...

Cheers

If you read his post, you'll see that he's not saying his Mac has malware on it but rather his friend does, who is presumably running Windows, and because he has been using Macs for a while, he does not know what the best anti-malware software for Windows is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As it sounds like your friend uses a PC, download Microsoft Security Essentials and run the full scan. It is free and a great program.

OP
AnthonyM1987
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage
Sorry to clarify. Yes she's using Vista

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As it sounds like your friend uses a PC, download Microsoft Security Essentials and run the full scan. It is free and a great program.

Thats what our clients are using with good success with a plus side it does not
seem to bog down the system on Windows 7 anyway.

Reaction score
A few anti-malware apps from when I was cursed by windoze:
Adaware
Spybot - Search & Destroy

Also MSE and Malwarebytes, as already mentioned.
There are also a few others, but right now, those listed are the only names that spring to mind.

Hope this info helps. :Cool:

Reaction score
SuperAntiSpyware is a new one that I have come accross that works really well,
once you clean her machine I would suggest removing the Virus protection off and putting Microsoft Security Essentials for your virus scanner, then keep Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware on there and run them once a month.
Microsoft SE
Malwarebytes.org
SUPERAntiSpyware

I would suggest staying away from Ad-aware and Spybot, as over the past 2 years I have noticed a large decline in their scanning and picking up malware and spyware

Just my 0.02$

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.