microphone port?

Reaction score
is the >o< symbol on the 2nd 3.5mm jack for the mic or not? if not the power mac g5 i have doesnt have one...

Reaction score
Plug a mic in and find out...
But yes that should be the audio in (mic or any other sound source) jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Urrrm... no that's a line-in socket I believe. Meaning no 3.5mm jack microphones will connect through that socket.

You'll either need to use a usb to mic/headphone splitter (aka here, or get an audio interface (expensive!).

Or....

get a mic that attaches through usb.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I spent an hour or two experimenting with that for a while one day before I remembered that the jack you mention is indeed a line in not microphone. Mics won't generate the requisite signal without a preamp. Although some are expensive the Griffin Technology: iMic - USB Audio Interface is less than $30.00 US and works with a number of mics that use the 1/8" miniplug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I spent an hour or two experimenting with that for a while one day before I remembered that the jack you mention is indeed a line in not microphone. Mics won't generate the requisite signal without a preamp. Although some are expensive the Griffin Technology: iMic - USB Audio Interface is less than $30.00 US and works with a number of mics that use the 1/8" miniplug.

What's odd is that it works fine as a mic input under Windows in Bootcamp . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Do bear in mind that singstar mics will work through their own usb interface. Same with the SOCOM headset.

You might not own them, or they might not be suitable, but they do work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't tried it on the Intel Macs under Boot Camp or OS X. I'll have to give that a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.