G4 DA M5183 lost passwords, won't boot admin, holding C or Apple + S doesn't work..

Reaction score
I've got a (Power?) Mac G4 Digital Audio that's been sat under someone's desk not being used for a few years, used to belong to a business that folded. Of course this means that the password is on and there's no way of tracking down the people who used to use it.

After doing a bit of net research, it all seem to say we can bypass the password issue by booting it up while holding down C, or Apple + S.
When we do this, nothing happens apart from the grey or blue screen. A square box with a question mark comes up but that's it.

Tried with the Install CDs that came with it, they say G4 but not 100% sure if they're the right ones. Still nothing.

Tried with a different CD drive, and with even with a blank hard drive to see if that would force it to boot from the CD Rom, but no joy.

Everything seems firmly fixed in place, though the thing could do with a good hoover out! (Don't worry, I won't be applying the Henry to the mac :D

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Applying the Henry?

If there's a flashing question mark, then the hard disk is not bootable. It's probably been erased. The Digital Audio G4 shipped with Mac OS 9.1 or 9.2, and not Mac OS X, so if you have OS X installer discs, they are definitely not for that model. Mac OS 9 discs cannot reset the password.

You're going to need retail Mac OS X discs. For that model, version 10.3 aka Panther or 10.4 aka Tiger will be the best versions. Once you get those, you start the Macintosh from the disc by putting it in and holding down C when you power up.

Good luck!

OP
F
Reaction score
The Henry hoover to get all the dust out of it :D

If the hard disk had been wiped (which makes sense as it was originally in an accountancy office), would it still come up with password protection?
(Apols if this is a stupid question.)

I think it's the OS 9 disc that I've got (without going to the car to check - it's cold out there!), though it won't reset the password, hypothetically it should still be able to boot up from the disc by holding down C?

Cuz if it's not doing that, would I be right in thinking it won't do it from any other disc, whether it's OS X or nor?

Thanks for replying :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well if it has firmware password protection, not even booting from the install disc will do anything. In fact it is specifically designed to prevent this and that would be logical if was an accountant's machine. Here is some info on firmware password protection. PM me for further help getting around this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Why didn't I think about the battery? My G4's battery died a few years ago and yeah... they don't boot with dead batteries.

OP
F
Reaction score
creditor in

If I just switch it on, it gets to the password screen fine. Would it do that if the battery was dead?

If it's firmware password protected, it looks as though it basically blocks me from doing anything, even resetting the battery. :(

OP
F
Reaction score
Update- tested the battery with an altimeter thingy, it's chugging 3.6v so that's fine. :)

Update - it allows boot up in safe mode, but just goes to the password screen again.

Tried resetting the PRAM, it restarted but it still just gets as far as the password screen.

Think it's definitely got OS X, cuz that's what it says above the different user names!

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok, it DOES allow me to go into the root menu with Command + S.... now what? :D

UPDATE - think we've cracked it. PRAM reset enabled Command + S so we're on a roll :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.