MBA-specific issue: restoring from time machine

Reaction score
Hello,
I think this is a problem specific to the macbook air and I haven't found anyone else on the net who had the same problem: I'm having issues restoring my MBA with time machine stored in an external drive, and I think this issue is due to the fact that I can only have one USB connection at a time.

So when I boot up on Snow Leopard using my external optical drive and I click on Restore from Backup, then there's the window where it tells you to hook up the external drive if that's where your data is saved.

Except at that point, I have to unhook the optical drive in order to hook up my external drive, and I guess doing that interferes with the whole process since it doesn't detect my external drive.

I've tried using a usb hub (not self-powered), but apparently it doesn't transfer enough energy for the optical drive to work.

Any help is welcome!
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.