DIY in car glove box dock for iPhone 3G/3GS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
I have an Alpine head unit with bluetooth handsfree and also an iPod connector in glove box. Got it working really well and would reccomend it for a fairly cheap solution to in car handsfree and iPod connection.

However, I find it a bit fiddly to be constantly plugging and unpluging the iPhone in and out.

I want to create a dock, in the glove box, where I can quickly and with one hand, slide the phone into a side mounted dock, then whip it out again when I get out of the car.

I deally I want to mount it with glue/screws to the side wall of the glove box. I've been looking on the net for a dock which would allow this and the closest thing I've found which would be suitable is this external power pack/jacket. But at £50 it's a bit pricey and I'm only going to be chopping it up to modify it for what I want.

MiLi iPhone Power Packs - buy at Firebox.com

Any suggestions or ideas? I even thought about making one out of wood and some velvet like material to enable easy slide in and out. (I know, I'm trying not to sound rude)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.