Indexing software for shelved hard drives?

Reaction score
Here's a question for backup enthusiasts out there.
Is there some sort of freeware / shareware out there that'll index a hard drive for you and then keep a database or something that you can search?
Let's say, for example, you have a 1TB external drive that you want to shelf. You pull out the drive, put a clean one in, and you put the old drive away. But then say I want to check if a certain file is on that drive. I'm looking for a quick way to scan through an index file of that drive to see what the contents are without having to mount the drive.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

C

chas_m

Oh sure, lots of disk cataloging programs!

I happen to use one called Disktracker out of sheer laziness (been using it since OS 9!), and there are many others. Just do a google or MacUpdate search on mac disk cataloging programs. If you own Toast I believe one is actually included in the bundle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I use the one that comes with Toast. It's fairly basic but it does the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your suggestions!
I'm on my way to better data management.
Cheers!:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.