Best time to buy MacBook?

Reaction score
Hello forum! First post!
Funny they let me choose my name, actually I am "nomnomnom" ing on some burger king right now LOL. Well I'm dazzled. After my brothers "nice, high tech" laptop has been serviced twice now, once for keyboard malfunction second for charging malfunction... I am planning on buying a Mac Book (they look slick and I like when things look "clean"). Can anyone stir me off into the direction I'd want to look in? I know for sure I'd like a MBP but would 13" benefit me more or 15"? I'm scared 13" is too small yet 15" will be too big to bring to school and in terms of being conveniently portable. This will be my little life oragnizer, but when I don't have homework I would like to buy a mouse and sit back playing some Modern Warefare or computer games like FFXI or something smoothly. I'm thinking a hardware upgrade. I will buy in Oregon so therefore there is no tax, hurrah! I heard that there is a new mac book dropping soon so my best bet would be to buy after it comes out to save money. I want the best deal at the lowest price. (who doesn't lol) Not in a hurry to buy, I can wait until Sept 2010 maximum. Help me answer my questions. :D
Thanks,
nomnomnom (haha!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
MacBook Pro could come out tomorrow, it could come out in September.

I personally would wait, but that is just my opinion. If you wait for the next best thing, you always will be waiting...

The 13 inch is great for me, you can always zoom in while reading something (I do that quite often). This makes reading easy on my eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
No one besides Apple knows when the new models will come out, rumors are just that, rumors. I'd say if you can hold off as long as you can, do it, just in case a new revision does come out. When I originally bought a MacBook, less than a month later the new models came out that bumped the processor from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo, I was ******. Really there's not much you can do about that but it sucks when it happens, so just hold off if you want the newest model, but you may have to bite the bullet in case there is no revision by the time you need to buy.

As for which model, if you're going to be carrying it around from class to class, smaller tends to be better, but really it's not going to be a major difference from the 13 to the 15 inch models. Personally I'd go for the bigger screen size, an extra bit of weight to carry around is negligible, and it's always good to have a bit more real estate on a computer screen.

OP
N
Reaction score
To poster above me. I am buying the current Mac Book Pro but will be waiting to see if something else comes out. If something else comes out I am waiting for a price drop on the previous model, not going to buy the new model just to get things straight. I'm going to wait it out and see how they go on sale in summer or if I find a good deal I'll dive in. Buy straight from apple? where is the best place to buy then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I see. Well once the new models come out the prior ones generally aren't available through Apple unless you get a refurbished model, so really the only other alternative is to go to an electronics dealer like Best Buy. They tend to not update those models as fast to get rid of the stock they already have, so you may be able to find a deal there. You can also talk them down in price sometimes, just takes a little haggling skills. ;)

Also, you mentioned playing some video games on the machine once you get it. Although the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M that comes standard in the cheaper models is pretty good at handling most games, if you're going to be running some really graphic intensive ones (which tend to be the newer ones that everyone plays) you should look at a model with a 9600 GT card.

OP
N
Reaction score
So I guess the right time... is now. lol, thanks buddy. you've been great help. Macs can boot into windows too... how do they do this? and should I be doing this while I play games? Does it basically mean it will consume the same ram and everything/speeds that someone running xp on a laptop will have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check this out for anything you need to know about Boot Camp.

Running Windows through Boot Camp enables you to use all of the hardware available on your machine. So for example, I've got a Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz machine with 4 GB of RAM, I have access to all of that while using Windows through Boot Camp.

Good luck with getting a MacBook Pro, and enjoy it. They're great machines. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Also, as mentioned, you may want to look at the refurbs to get more bang for your buck, but fully working covered machine, as well as the option of Applecare extended warranty.
Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
Buy it before the end of the year. That's all I have to say :p.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.