power PC to Snow Leapord

Reaction score
I am about to get a 24 inch imac from a friend of mine. i have on old ibook G4 running 10.5.8 but the new machine will be running 10.6. i dont want to restore my new machine using time machine. i want a fresh start, but i do want some of my applications as well as a few other things. is it possible to use time machine to update only some things, programs bookmarks etc... as well as does it work with the new software. will i have any trouble using 10.5.8 timemachine with the new 10.6 when doing this. or will i have to imput all the info by hand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Here's what I would do. Go into the Utilities folder and select the Migration Assistant. From there, you can chose to have your user accounts, settings and applications from your old G4 iBook transferred over to your new iMac. All you'll need is an ethernet cable, and a copy of the restore disc for the iMac. Follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My method is to not import any Applications using Migration Assistant. SL already has all the Apple Apps and i think it will save time in the end if you download latest copies of 3rd party Apps that will play nicely with SL. When u have the back up drive connected click on Time Machine in menu bar and it should give you this choice;

Click for full size

Reaction score
um i have a similar issue as riegeronimo but slightly tweaked. i bought my macbook pro on eBay and it came with a bunch of 3rd party apps installed. but i didn't get the 3rd party disks from the guy only the snow leopard disks. the name of the computer was "macuser" and although i was able to change it to "rustproofcorn" i have really wanted to do a clean install of snow leopard but i dont want to lose the 3rd party apps. so i don't think time machine would work but i am not sure. if i do time machine or carbon copy will i be able to do a clean install and just install the apps from the backup? which option you told this guy about would work for me? sorry if i should have created another thread i was just trying to keep the threads down and it looked like this guy was done...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
RustProofCorn... your name makes me think hilariously dirty thoughts. Please explain... how did your name come about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do not own the software install discs hence it is on there illegally. Even pirated. Cloning may work, however be aware some larger applications, like Office and Adobe suites, do not copy at all well and you may be up for a clean install, with verification codes.

Reaction score
RustProofCorn... your name makes me think hilariously dirty thoughts. Please explain... how did your name come about?

lol, i have had this name on the net for about 9 years now. How it came about is me not wanting a name like bruce245324. i wanted a name that no matter what was mine and mine alone. so if you ever see Rustproofcorn anywhere else you know thats me. pretty boring story but thats it. corn doesn't rust btw hence why i came up with the name Rustproofcorn.

Reaction score
You do not own the software install discs hence it is on there illegally. Even pirated. Cloning may work, however be aware some larger applications, like Office and Adobe suites, do not copy at all well and you may be up for a clean install, with verification codes.

a i didn't know or think it was pirated i just figured he didn't give me disks because he told me to use carbon copy cloner. i don't really want pirated stuff on my computer how can i verify that its not? i have done all the updates on the softwares and nothing has arose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
a i didn't know or think it was pirated i just figured he didn't give me disks because he told me to use carbon copy cloner. i don't really want pirated stuff on my computer how can i verify that its not? i have done all the updates on the softwares and nothing has arose.
Hi there,
If the person you purchased your mac from hasn't given you media for the "included" software, then it is a very safe bet that the software is pirated and therefore installed in breach of the publishers EULA (End User Licensing Agreement).
Whilst the software may update okay via the web, who's to say (for example) that program X isn't installed on multiple computers, using the same single user license, or conversely, that a 10-user "Multipack" or "Family pack" license hasn't been recycled onto 10x that number of machines?

If you purchased a machine in good faith, with "installed applications", then it is your responsibility to check that the vendor included the media and all of the relevant serial numbers (and manuals, etc), before handing over the cash, or walking away from the deal.

I personally, would start saving for the programs you want and make 100% sure that you have either (i) the original media and serial numbers in your possession, or (ii) in the case of digital downloaded software, that you have an email from the software vendor, detailing the serial number and the fact that it is registered in your name.

Reaction score
most the apps i don't care about. only ms office 2008 and toast 10. i am just purchasing my own copies of these two apps and calling it a day. once i get them i am going to do a fresh install of sl. thanks for the input.

OP
R
Reaction score
so.. i seem to have a problem here though. i got my new (almost) from my friend today. yea for me! but... he did not have the original 10.5 install disk. you can not do a clean install with just the snow leopard upgrade disk. but i put it in anyway. then.. I borrowed a copy of 10.5 my friend had with his macbook pro. it told me that it couldnt install the software. is this because i have already upgraded to snow, but then how can i get a fresh install? on the disk itself it said for macbook pro, would that make a difference?

also.. what about things like mail.. can i transfer everything from mail over to my new computer by using time machine?

OP
R
Reaction score
i have just been playing around, and i used time machine to transfer my user, but decided not to do the applications. but i still have a user from the old owner. now i have 2.. i would still like to wipe it clean and start from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You can't use a install disk from a mbp to install leopoard on your imac - it has the wrong drivers. The disks that come with macs for installs is specific to the type of computer. I.E. macbook pros, or imacs. You'd need a retail disk to do a clean install of leopard or a install disk from another imac, not a mbp.

OP
R
Reaction score
so i am F***ed then. that is lame. will the apple store lend me a copy, doubt that! anyone have any suggestions. i dont know anyone else with an imac

C

chas_m

i have just been playing around, and i used time machine to transfer my user, but decided not to do the applications. but i still have a user from the old owner. now i have 2.. i would still like to wipe it clean and start from scratch.

You can do this with just the Snow Leopard retail disk you have.

Boot up from the Snow Leopard disc, choose "English" as your language (assuming that's your native language, otherwise use that) and then go to the menubar and choose "Disk Utility." From there you can totally erase the drive (I suggest "zero out" under "Security options" -- it takes a little while but it's super clean). Once that's done you can proceed with an install. Despite being called an "upgrade disc," it will do a clean install in this fashion on discs that were previously formatted with Leopard or Snow Leopard (even Tiger, I am told).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Ooops - missed page 2

OP
R
Reaction score
so good news for me. my friend who i bought the computer from found the disks. so no worries there any more. although... when playing around with time machine i just transferred "user" and nothing else. and made a new user (me) as well as the one that was on my new computer before.. which is what it is supposed to i guess. but i dont want beverything from my old user, i just want mail and my mailboxes. any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.