Advice Needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
I dropped a sprocket on my macbook last night. It's steel and weighs about a pound or so. Immediately the computer screen went blank and it made the sound it makes when I first turn it on. But it didn't come back on all the way. So I turned it off and back on again and it eventually will come on completely (I'm on it now) but veeery slowly. Takes about 10 minutes to get online from pressing the power button. It also just went blue on me at one point today and I had to turn it off and then on again. I can't get on skype either for some reason.

So what damage was done exactly. Does that sound like a hard drive problem? Or did I break something on the mother board? I just put in a new fan, and I replaced the optical drive last summer, so I'm comfortable enough poking around in there and doing some basic stuff but I don't really know much about what everything is or does.

What do you think? (Other than that I should stop dropping heavy steel things on my computer - got that.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac forums.
No good news here!
I doubt it is the hard drive, but you could certainly swap it out with another hard drive just to be sure.
It could be that the ram was dislodged, but once again, I doubt that too, but you can easily rehouse the Ram just to be certain.
Unfortunately, logic board is the likely suspect, in which cae, there is no cheap fix other than the expensive fix of having it replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Something possibly got dislodged. I would open 'er up and take a look.

Sorry about what happened. :(

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took out the RAM and replaced it. That didn't help at all.

I took it apart and had a peek inside, but didn't notice anything obviously wrong. That's not really saying much because my desk isn't lit very well and I wouldn't know what I was looking for. There was nothing obvious. No family of squirrels living in there or anything.

So I put in a new hard drive. It was still slow to start, and then I had to format the thing because I'd just taken it out of the wrapper. Skype works now, and other things seem to be going ok. I only had a few minutes to mess around with it, so I'll know more tonight. But I'm hoping at this point that it's at least usable. Crossing my fingers... :Oops:

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was a really long time ago, but I thought I'd add an ending to the story. Which is that this did work after all. So I dropped a sprocket on the computer and broke the hard drive. Weird, huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No perfectly normal. HDD do not like impact or being dropped.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Congrats, and thanks for the update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.