Copying Contents From one Macbook to Another

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I apologize if this was supposed to go in the OS thread but I figured it fits in both.

I was wondering if it is possible to copy the entire contents of one macbook to another.

I have an older macbook that can boot both windows and snow leopard and has all kinds of neat software, much of which I have lost the discs to.

I also have a brand new macbook that has nothing but leopard on it.

Is there a way to wipe my new macbook and copy or clone everything from the old one onto it so that both os are bootable and the software is all usable?

A big thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
I've never had to clone both OS X and Windows.
I believe what you would need to use is Carbon Copy Cloner to clone over your OS X partition, and use WinClone to copy over the windows partition.
I don't want to give you incorrect instructions on how as I've only cloned OS X partitions, but I'm certain that someone will be along shortly to give you clear instructions on the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Would it be an option to just exchange the harddrive?
If it is the same size and not to old it would be the easiest way to move the harddrive contents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It would, but I think the OP wants 2 identical setups!

C

chas_m

I'm beginning to think that "lost the discs" is code for "pirated software." Either that, or we have a huge number of ridiculously irresponsible software buyers on this forum. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that thought constantly crosses my mind too! :(

OP
R
Reaction score
No, no pirated software.

The old macbook is one loaned to me from my school, and it comes with all kinds of code editing software, compilers, etc. All of which I may legally have on my personal computer (the new one). I just need to know how to move it over.

I have to give the loaned macbook back so switching the drives is not a possibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Usually, you can only legally have software on one computer at a time, I believe. If you are trying to install software and you don't have the original install disks, it's probably not kosher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Agreed. If it's a loaned computer and your taking software off of it for you personal computer, that's the same thing as pirating. Just a different method than torrents,etc;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If its legal for you to have on your personal computer would not the school offer you the
disc to load.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
I'll bet if he asked for it they would give it. My school does that for most applications that we use in the course of our education... That is part of what our technology fee pays for.

But yes, simply copying one drive onto another drive from a computer you don't actually own, and licenses you haven't paid for is pirating.

OP
R
Reaction score
Jesus Christ people... all of the software is FREE **** like JGRASP and compilers and putty... If I wanted to download all of it off of the net I could but it would take forever and I would lose all of my settings. I posted on here asking for help and all I get is a bunch of people accusing me of illegal activity. I guess that just goes to show what kind of trolls comment on these forums. I'll just take my problem in to the mac store and PAY someone to help me. Thanks for nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
Jesus Christ people... all of the software is FREE **** like JGRASP and compilers and putty... If I wanted to download all of it off of the net I could but it would take forever and I would lose all of my settings. I posted on here asking for help and all I get is a bunch of people accusing me of illegal activity. I guess that just goes to show what kind of trolls comment on these forums. I'll just take my problem in to the mac store and PAY someone to help me. Thanks for nothing.

Just keep in mind when reading all of these comments that Big Brother is watching and has an IP tracker...;D

In other words, even though this is a Mac forum it is still heavily PC...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.