• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Room downstairs

A

Aarow

My family (mostly me and my dad) are redoing a room in our house. We want a computer or something that connects to the T.V. (so we can listen to music and look at pictures. I was thinking of getting a mac mini, but thats too expensive (for what we're doing with it). Are there any cheaper macs out there? Whats the price of a G4 imac?

Thanks
Aarow:)

P.S. I didn't know where to put this, so if one of you mods see it, you can move it.

Reaction score
If all you want to do is have Music and Pictures, I would suggest getting an Eyehome from Elgato.

This unit can stream Video, Music, Pictures from any Mac in the house.
It also integrates with the Elgato EyeTV so you can stream recorded TV shows you have captured from an EyeTV.

I really like my Eyehome. It was cheap and did everything I wanted.

OP
A

Aarow

That is...AWESOME(Now I really need to get a mac:))

One question. How do you transfer files to it? Bluetooth or a cable?

Reaction score
It streams the content via network (Wireless or Wired) Wireless will need a ethernet to Wireless bridge.
You will need 802.11g (aka airport extreme) for Mpeg2 streaming. DIVX only needs 802.11b.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.