Retrieving Time Machine Back Up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8
Right now im convinced that my HD had kicked the bucket. I managed to make a back up via time machine but dont think it was a bootable back up.

How do I retrieve stuff from the external HD?

+ I know there was a lot video files that were not backed up as time machine said there wasnt enough space on the ex HD. Is there a way of retrieving them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Insert the OS X installation disk. Hold down the 'C' key while the machine boots up to boot from the CD. There will be an option to restore from Time Machine backup.

In the event that you physically replace the HD, you'll need to format the new HD prior to the Time Machine restore. (OS X doesn't tell you that). Run Disk Utility from the CD to format, then select the Time Machine restore. The options that allow you to complete the restore will then (and only then) appear.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the stuff that is on the failed drive that wasnt backed up, have I lost it for good or can i get it back some how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Ok lets start from the beginning , Why do you think your HDD is bad . Tell us what is going on with your system.

Clay

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok lets start from the beginning , Why do you think your HDD is bad . Tell us what is going on with your system.

Clay

The mac just froze after trying to perform a task. It seems like it was happing every 30 secs and the wheel of death comes up (rainbow wheel).

I was unable to do anything so had to switch it off via the switch on the back and then im faced with the annoying question mark and folder when started back up.

Using the install disks I have got on to utilities but the disk doctor isnt picking up the hard disk after several restarts still nothing.

I can here a short whirring (1-2 secs) noise then repeats this noise over and over.

The freezing has happened multiple times and also the question mark folder.

It sometimes picked up the HD but not all the time but now im stuck on the question mark folder and it doesnt seem to be finding the start up folder at all.

C

chas_m

Yes, you have a dying/dead hard drive.

If TM didn't back up the stuff on the failed hard drive, you have lost it. In your original post you DIRECTLY contradicted your latest post so forgive us if we are a bit confused.

Data Recovery services like Drivesavers may well be able to get back all your un-backed-up data, but it will cost you DEARLY. We're talking $1200+.

I'm not at all clear on what, if anything, you backed up using Time Machine, but whatever you DID back up with it is easily restorable once you get a new hard drive to restore it to. I recently did this on my own system (no crash, just a test) and it worked perfectly.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you have a dying/dead hard drive.

If TM didn't back up the stuff on the failed hard drive, you have lost it. In your original post you DIRECTLY contradicted your latest post so forgive us if we are a bit confused.

Data Recovery services like Drivesavers may well be able to get back all your un-backed-up data, but it will cost you DEARLY. We're talking $1200+.

I'm not at all clear on what, if anything, you backed up using Time Machine, but whatever you DID back up with it is easily restorable once you get a new hard drive to restore it to. I recently did this on my own system (no crash, just a test) and it worked perfectly.

That description in my last post was from a previous thread I had made about the HD. It was purely to explain why I thought the hd had died. People had talked about data recovery from failed hard drives using software on this post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.