• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Record computer activity to canon video camera without software.

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I work in a place where we give presentations via a projector/laptop a lot. We want to be able to give the attendees a dvd of the powerpoint presentations. We tried using a tripod and a camera to record our presentation but we are hitting problems with the image quality and sound. Because it is literally a camera recording a screen in a dark room, the quality is too poor to be able to see some of the data and captions.

Thus, we are on a quest for new ideas. We don't need to see the lecturer in the video but We just need the voice and the presentation to follow along to it. Also, we want to be able to do it without installing software because some of the presenters bring their own laptops and may not feel comfortable with us installing it.

So my question is, I've got an HD Canon Vixia HF200 and I'd like to be able to record something directly from my computer screen into the camera so that we can burn that onto a DVD. I saw a few videos online about doing so, but they use VGA to s-video and I was hoping there were more options then that.

The camera has the following outputs:
- HDMI (preferred)
- The squigly trident USB port (trapeziod shaped)
- Component out (rectangle)
- Mic
- DC in
- Mini Advanced shoe on top

We also have the projector, maybe there is an option with that as well? The ports are as follows:
- usb (but the port is more squared)
- s-video
- video /L and R
- computer component
- monitor out

I'd appreaciate any input. Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you have Snow Leopard, you can use QuickTime X which is included. Simply open QuickTime and go to File > New Screen Recording. In the box that comes up, click the little white arrow and choose your audio input source (microphone) and video quality. Click record and enjoy. Video will be saved to your desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.