Is this a good deal?

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought an Asus Eee pc netbook earlier this year for like $300. Its all working fine and good but I play guitar and stuff and I've been having a lot of fun using garage band on my dads new macbook pro. I found a macbook on craigslist for $400 and the guy agreed to sell it to me if I have him my netbook and $100. THe onlt catch is that the battery wont work, he's tryed brand new batteries but its some other problem. I've done a bit of research on this and found some battery update 1.4 thing that might be able to fix this. Anyway, I was just wondering exactly what kind of macbook this is and if it would be powerful enough to run garage band and have the option where you can hear the sound of the mic coming into your headphones at the same time its recording. Also, will that download fix the battery problem or is there some other way? Here's a link to the craigslist add MacBook also, here's a link to the macbook specs page Apple - Support - Technical Specifications I'm pretty sure is the second one from the bottom.

Sorry for the horrible sentence structure and grammar and stuff, I just woke up. :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's a quote from the Craig's List ad you linked:

I specialize in MacBooks and G4 iBooks. I've got all the parts and expertise to sell you what you need and fix your machine when it goes down.

This unit has a battery, however it does not work off the power supply even with a good battery."

This MacBook obviously has power related issues. It is not really clear if this computer works or not. The seller seems to indicate that the MacBook does not work with a good or bad battery...and it also seems to indicate that it doesn't work while plugged in via the power supply.

Also...why do you think this seller gives so much unnecessary info about how they have "all the parts and expertise to sell you what you need and fix your machine when it goes down."

That's because this seller wants you to buy this most likely "non-working" computer...then turn around & try to get you to let him fix it for an additional charge!!!:(

So your total cost for this computer will be the $399 purchase price + whatever it costs to repair it.

Lastly...the seller doesn't even include the processor speed of this laptop. Most likely it is a 1.83 or 2.0ghz dual core model...but knowing the processor speed is a BIG DEAL in determining it's current value.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I think he means that the laptop doesn't work when its off the power supply.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think he means - "Give me your new Netbook + $100 and I'll give you this non-functioning MacBook". Take Nick's advice: Stay away from that deal and any other like it on Craig's List or eBay.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think he means that the laptop doesn't work when its off the power supply.

I'm really not suggesting that you pursue this "deal"...but any confusion should be cleared up before going further.

The seller's post is not super clear. I know that this is probably a "no-brainer"...but if you are still considering this computer...definitely contact the seller & get a clear answer.

The bottom line is...this computer has problems...which may lead to other problems...and $399 cash (or trading your $300 Netbook + $100) is not a great price for the problem(s) it has.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
An even deeper bottom line than Nick's .. steer well clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
There are alot of scam artists on ebay and craigslist. Some people may mean well when selling their stuff at decent prices, but it's best to protect yourself and steer clear, especially when in doubt, such is this case. I would suggest purchasing from a trusted used mac dealer, or from apple themselves, but if you must purchase from somebody on ebay or craiglist, if possible, ask for a guarantee that it works, or see if you can use it in person.

In this particular case, while I don't necessarily know that it's a scam, I'd definitely say it's a case of buyer beware, and I wouldn't chance your netbook and hard-earned $100 on something that may very well be broken.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.