ipod not recognized in itunes

Reaction score
iTunes opens when my ipod is connected, but it doesn't show the symbol so I can't do anything. I read all the instructions on what to do, it doesn't help and I don't know how to restore the ipod since it doesn't show in iTunes.

Any ideas...? I'd be very glad about your help! Kinda desperate by now.

(plus it automatically resets itself after I disconnect it... always... ???)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod | iPhone
I don't now if you run it on Mac or PC but does your iPod show up as an external hard-drive on your system when you connect it?

If it does perhaps you can check your settings that way and see if the iPod have been set to act as a normal external drive and then perhaps change that.

Based on what you wrote it is difficult to know exactly what is causing this problem.

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm using a mac, and yes the ipod is recognized as a normal external drive. The ipod symbol is shown on the desktop and I can use it as a volume. It's not recognized in itunes though so I can't put music on and use it as a player.

I tried all the regular steps and nothing helps...

I don't know how to change any settings, on the desktop I can only access the ipod's general information and use it as an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod | iPhone
Hmmm..... Well I'm sorry but I don't think I'm able to help you then.

Some years back I had a similar problem, but it was at that time on a Win PC and of course an older version of iTunes and probably iPod Version/Firmware.

I found out that the problem was that I had somehow changed the drive settings, so my iPod was set to act as a normal external data drive and therefore was somehow ignored by iTunes when I connected it. I solved it by going in to the drive settings om my computer and changed it back to a normal usb/firewire drive. When I connected it again Itunes could see it.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks anyway for trying! I guess I'll have to go to an apple store and get them to help me...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.