Macbook Installation Discs Dilemma

Reaction score
I have the mid-2007 MacBook Core 2 Duo and I still have Tiger...

I wanted to reformat my hard drive with Tiger but only disc 1 installed all the way... disc 2 failed because of misc scratches.

I just ordered the Mac Box Set on Amazon.com
Will the installation work if I just pop in the disks from the Mac Box Set? Anyone else have this dilemma?

Please help! Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it was the boxed set for Tiger (Black DVD set), you should have no problem installing it. Note: You should make a backup first if you wish to preserve data, documents, photos, music, etc.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
I bought the Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard... will it still work?

If it was the boxed set for Tiger (Black DVD set), you should have no problem installing it. Note: You should make a backup first if you wish to preserve data, documents, photos, music, etc.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Before you go any further did Tiger install correctly? Unless I'm mistaken the 2nd disc that came with your computer only has the applications that came pre-installed on your computer when it was new. Is there a specific application you need? I don't think you need the second disc if you just wanted a clean install of Tiger.

The Snow Leopard box set only has iLife, iWork, and of course Snow Leopard. Is that what you wanted? I don't know if it requires you to upgrade to Snow Leopard in order to install them but if you already opened the box you can try installing them and see if it works if you want iLife and iWork. Most stores won't let you return opened software.

If your second disc is only scratched then you can try those DVD scratch fixing devices and see if that works for you. It would have been cheaper than buying the Snow Leopard box set.

OP
R
Reaction score
I wanted to do a clean install and of course backed everything up. I torrented Tiger OS X recently and tried installing it that way and even held down "C" but it still asked for "Disc 2" I haven't yet received Snow Leopard Box Set. HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
OP
R
Reaction score
it didn't work!

THe Mac Box Set DID NOT work. HELP! Please see my other thread "Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard"

Before you go any further did Tiger install correctly? Unless I'm mistaken the 2nd disc that came with your computer only has the applications that came pre-installed on your computer when it was new. Is there a specific application you need? I don't think you need the second disc if you just wanted a clean install of Tiger.

The Snow Leopard box set only has iLife, iWork, and of course Snow Leopard. Is that what you wanted? I don't know if it requires you to upgrade to Snow Leopard in order to install them but if you already opened the box you can try installing them and see if it works if you want iLife and iWork. Most stores won't let you return opened software.

If your second disc is only scratched then you can try those DVD scratch fixing devices and see if that works for you. It would have been cheaper than buying the Snow Leopard box set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.