photoshop question

Reaction score
ok so i made a flyer for a friend of mine and it is being taken to a professional printer but apparently the way it is being printed is that they only use two colors. I was told that that the photoshop file needs to be put into 2 color seperation and i have no idea how to do that. i have basically self taught photoshop so theres alot i don't know and this is one of my first real projects with it. thanks for your time and i will try and answer any questions as best as possible about info you need to know.

ps. i am using photoshop cs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
first, what version of photoshop are you using and what os are you on? so you mean its a 2 color job? thats not hard, but have you used many colors, or what? in a 2 color job, you can only use 2 colors, but the secret is you can use tints and shades of that color as well,
or make a duo tone out of it. no matter how you're doing it, you shouldn't print out of photoshop, you ned to take the image into indesign or quark after you're done and either pdf or collect for output.

OP
K
Reaction score
i am pretty sure it needs to be a duo tone. I am using photoshop version 8.0 and am running mac osx 10.3.9

i am just doing what the printer (an actual person) told me to do but i believe it is the duo tone that i need so if you could just explain to me how to do that it would be great. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, click image>mode>grayscale, then click ok, discard color if you wish, then click image>mode>duotone. note: you have to add a second color in the dialog box, and this is not the same as a 2 color job/image, but if thats what you were told, I guess that'll do it.

J

jessica

Macman, why wouldn't you print from Photoshop? I do and I have wonderful results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is not for printing, it has the ability to do so, but it is made for 'editing' photos or images. any printing, especially professional, is never done from photoshop or illustrator, indesign or quark, I prefer indesign, is made to handle color management and any post script info where photoshop is not. when it comes to high end printing, photoshop doesn't have the same color management capabilities as illustrator or indesign. also, indesign can give you custom previews that will show you what the end result should look likie, photoshop's screen reps are not going to be correct much of the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.