Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?

Reaction score
So I have decided that its time to buy myself a laptop. After much research I have came to the conclusion to buy the MBP 15". My only concern is with Apple and their constant upgrading of their products.

As the title says, should I buy now or wait to see if they introduce a new MBP with the i5/i7 chip?

Thanks in advance!
- Hopefully, a Mac converter :Smirk:

Wow, sorry, BUY*** now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)
It really depends on what you are going to be using it for?

It was rumored there would be a refresh yesterday, so seeing as that didnt happen, it really could be anytime soon.....then again you could be waiting another 2 or 3 months.

If you need now, buy now, you wont regret it whatever you choose :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I agree with Andy007. If you need a computer right now then go ahead and get it, but if you're just wanting a new computer you could wait a bit more to see if they release anything. I have the current MBP and it's been 7 months since I got it and this model was out a little while before I got it so it is possible they could be releasing a new version. I couldn't possibly guess what they would add to it though, I love this thing to death and don't see it missing any uses. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I was initially going to wait but in December decided to go ahead and I must say i have been enjoying my MBP every day for months now ,it is faster,cooler running and the new
trackpad was all worth it. Can't blame anyone for wanting the newer processors but look
at it like this there will always be improvements around the corner. I would have loved to had SSD in mine but could not justify the cost a year or so later they may become mainstream.

Reaction score
I also am looking to get a MBP, but a 13inch. I went to the Apple iStore today to inquire about them and the sales guy told me that they're out of stock and hadn't received any of the higher specced 13's in awhile. Although, he didn't say outright that there will be a new refresh model coming out soon he advised me to wait for a few weeks and come back to see him when/if they do. (This he said on the quiet as his boss left the shop). So if you can wait then do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
As others have mentioned, it depends on if you need your computer now or if you can wait. The new ones have been rumored to be released soon but people have been saying that for awhile now.

My only concern is with Apple and their constant upgrading of their products.
Don't know how you got that impression. Electronic devices in general are upgraded pretty often as new technology comes out. Actually Apple is behind other computer companies with the latest laptop CPU technology since they are already in use.

Reaction score
Ok, another newbie here...

I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro. My old Dell laptop is just about dead and I want to get something that will last. However, I'm not in a huge rush. Likely when the new i3/i5/i7 comes out, they will likely be more expensive.

Is it a good idea to:

A) wait and buy the new i series.

B) wait and hope the old ones go on sale.

C) buy now because we're all clueless what the future holds.

Since I'm in school I would get the Education price. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but the answer is not going to change from that provided by the five posts right above yours from a week ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
buy now or wait to see if they introduce a new MBP with the i5/i7 chip?

Anytime is a good time to buy a Mac.If you buy a MB or MBP today it will give you several years of good use.

C

chas_m

I've seen no evidence that suggests that new MacBook Pros, when they finally do come out, will be any more expensive than current prices.

Reaction score
I've seen no evidence that suggests that new MacBook Pros, when they finally do come out, will be any more expensive than current prices.

In fact, my white MacBook cost me $1199.00 2 1/2 years ago, and now you can get a MacBook Pro for that! Not the highest spec MBP, but even the lowest spec MBP has more RAM, a faster processor, a dedicated GPU, and larger hard drive than my white MacBook. I'm not complaining, mind you, as my MacBook has been, and still is as responsive as the day I bought it.

Reaction score
wheeler oil

Another quick question...

I'm planning on getting the 13 inch MacBook Pro. I'm planning on getting 4 GB of memory and 320 GB hard drive. The Apple store has 2 different 13 inch ones. Is it smarter to get the 2nd one that already comes with the 4 GB of memory or the first one and make the changes? If I modify the first one I can save $165 bucks or so. Is there another reason I should choose the 2nd one?

Thanks for any advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.