13.3 MBP Question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
I have been an avid fan of the size of this machine and the previous macbooks for some years now.

Since it is now part of the Pro Range is there any chance it will ever come with the dedicated GFX option that the 15 and 17 models have or is it simply too small?

I love the size and i play games on my aluminium macbook all the time but i would like a wee bit more power without going up to a 15" next refresh, can anyone see apple doing this or am i going to be purchasing a 15" model?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean by dedicated? The difference is that the MBP 13" GPU shares memory with the system whereas the 15" and 17" models have separate memory and the choice of two GPUs. (Optional on 15" models, the low end model shares memory and has only one GPU)

(If you're an avid gamer, you probably should be purchasing a PC. :Angry-Tongue:) The faster GPU with dedicated memory is always going to be a better performer for games and of course the larger screen area is a definite enhancement. But you're also looking at a significant price increase and only you can decide if it's worth it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Since it is now part of the Pro Range is there any chance it will ever come with the dedicated GFX option that the 15 and 17 models have or is it simply too small?
Your guess is as good as anyone's. There have been a lot of people wishing for the same thing since they like the compact size of the 13 but they also do things like play games.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
What do you mean by dedicated? The difference is that the MBP 13" GPU shares memory with the system whereas the 15" and 17" models have separate memory and the choice of two GPUs. (Optional on 15" models, the low end model shares memory and has only one GPU)

(If you're an avid gamer, you probably should be purchasing a PC. :Angry-Tongue:) The faster GPU with dedicated memory is always going to be a better performer for games and of course the larger screen area is a definite enhancement. But you're also looking at a significant price increase and only you can decide if it's worth it.

Regards.

That was what i meant by dedicated.

Yeah i could buy a PC but i dont want to, i want to buy a mac because i like them. With the 15" model offering the two different GPUs i thought it would make sense that the 13" one now does the same since it was brought into the MBP line.

I guess its just wait and see!

Cheers

Reaction score
Well there have been rumours for some time of i3, i5, i7 based MPB coming soon.
Unless your in a hurry you could wait and find out, only Apple will know what they plan in regards to the graphics when this happens.
The reason it currently doesn't have a dedicated GPU is that it uses the NVIDIA chipset that includes a rather capable GPU to begin with so the cost/benefit of a second GPU would be limited in the small enclosure. However should Apple switch chipsets for some reason when they switch processors then who knows what GPU they will use.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
Cheers, i am prepared to wait, i wont be buying anything until the summer as i dont have the money just now haha! Will be interesting to see what upgrades the MBP range get!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.