Having problems installing os x on my G4

M

Macpunk

Hello

I've just bought a g4 powermac and i have a problem installing os x.
When i boot up with the cd and try to install the OS i'll only get to the part where it says "preparing to install"(i've chosen the partition i want to install on) and then I get a black screen where it says an unsuspected error has occured and that i should prees [Return] to restart.

What could be wrong? I am using original cd's(for an Emac, though)

The G4's specs:

G4 450 mhz
512 mb ram
27,3 bg hd.

Please help.

-Thanx

**EDIT**Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
are u sure its a G4 , they made g3's faster than 450 Mhz

my imac is 600Mhz and its G3

OP
B

Badger

Install disks are made for specific machines; using disks for a eMac on another model won't work. Also, the disks that come with the computers are not full system install disks. They are made to repair/restore the computer.
You'll need to get a commercial version of X or the disks for the G4 you have.

OP
M

Macpunk

Hey, I found out what the problem was....The guy i bought it from had put a lan card(for no obvious reason). I took it out and the installation went fine.

**Pattay**Yes, it is a G4 450 mhz

**Badger**Thats not true. I installed OSX for an Emac on my G4...worked fine enough

Thanx for the help though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
oh ok

good luck with it all
macs rule

OP
B

Badger

Macpunk said:
Hey, I found out what the problem was....The guy i bought it from had put a lan card(for no obvious reason). I took it out and the installation went fine.

**Pattay**Yes, it is a G4 450 mhz

**Badger**Thats not true. I installed OSX for an Emac on my G4...worked fine enough

Thanx for the help though

I'm surprised; Apple has gone to a lot of trouble to create machine-specific disks. Anyway I'm glad you got it done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.