should i replace the bottom of my mbp?

Reaction score
If i bought a new lower bottom case and brought it to apple (given the laptop is still covered under warranty) would they replace it for free do you think?

had an accident with it. would you replace it or live with it?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ho90r9.jpg

there she be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The warranty won't cover that.
If you can live with, do so, as the replacement of the lower case is a major job.... It has to be gutted, but it wouldn't hurt to enquire as to what it would cost you if you provided the lower case, or if they provided the lower case!

C

chas_m

Warranty does not cover abuse, which this clearly is, so no.

As 6string mentioned, this is a big job and will cost you a good deal of money whether you buy the lower case and have it done or they do the whole thing.

OP
W
Reaction score
it wasn't ABUSE it was an accident!!!! this happened just a few weeks ago and i got it back in 07. until then it was brand spankin new.

lol yah it should be fine as is...i've seen a lot worse before. the port still works at least, it should be alright

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If i bought a new lower bottom case and brought it to apple (given the laptop is still covered under warranty) would they replace it for free do you think?

it wasn't ABUSE it was an accident!!!! this happened just a few weeks ago and i got it back in 07. until then it was brand spankin new.

I doubt it. Cosmetic or accidental damage is not covered under the Apple warranty.

And if this cosmetic damage was covered...then there would be no need for you to purchase a new bottom case...since it would be part of the warranty.

But the bottom line is...this situation is not covered...so your best bet (since you already have the new bottom case) is to figure out how to install it yourself...or find a knowledgeable person to do the install for a reasonable price.

Also...if you bought this computer in 2007...it wasn't "brand spankin new" up until a few weeks ago! A few weeks ago it was still a 2.5+ year old computer...so it couldn't be "brand spankin new"...it just looked "brand spankin new"!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
lol ok nick now we're getting into technicalities. the thing looked like it hadn't been used (despite constant usage).

i don't actually already have a new lower case. it's just such a bummer, i guess i should just be thankful the usb port still even works. depending on what's plugged in it can be a little tougher to pull out but i guess i'll have to deal.
guess it's not really practical to replace the entire thing just for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
@ the OP Can i enquire as to what REALLY happened to it to get it like that. For me to look at it, it looks as if your cord seriously overheated and caught fire ... Just out of curiosity, and for future reference :)
Thanking muchly :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
C

chas_m

it wasn't ABUSE it was an accident!!!!

I apologise for upsetting you. I am a former Mac tech and use "mac tech talk" sometimes. "Abuse" means anything that the user did to a machine that caused a problem, including accidents (and even if the accident wasn't the owner's fault, the owner still has responsibility for it, thus the term).

I didn't mean to imply that you did it deliberately. Used in this context, "abuse" is a warranty term, not a judgement term.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.