Airport Extreme Questions?

Reaction score
Model: AirPort Extreme (802.11 Draft-N) Base Station
Version: 7.4.2

So my question is, i just recently bought this station and set it up to my existing wireless network. All the passwords were set to match up with my wireless network, Even the Base Stations Network Name. Now my question is, that i am getting alot of dropped connections thru the airport station(or could be my wireless network) either way, my internet hangs, and i can't open new windows or continue. I look at my airport station, and the light stays green throughout this, so there is obviously no dropped connection.

I notice if i turn my airport card off (the one on my computer not the base station) and then back on...literally a second. Then all the internet goes back to working for another 20 minutes or so. Thankfully, i dont have to reset or reboot the base station itself like iv'e read. And then it's like that all freaking day long...Any ideas as to how i can fix this? It's gettin pretty F ing annoying...If you could tell me some topics i should research or point me in the right direction it would really be appreciated.

I love the base station and the wireless printing option, and HD sharing option but this dropped internet coverage is really making me rethink it. Thanks.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Sounds like an issue with your Network settings. Have you tried it while connected by ethernet? does that show any difference. U don't say what OS you are on and i assume that you are using a Laptop?

OP
L
Reaction score
OS X Snow Leopard

Is the OS i am running off of. When i had it connected directly to the ethernet, no drops? Any network settings you recommend i look at? I cant have it cabled up to my router as the printer i use for wireless printing is in a diff room...And yes i have a macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you got the Extreme set to bridge mode and the modem/router handing out the DHCP?

Click for full size

OP
L
Reaction score
Mine is a little different

From your screen because im already set to a wireless network. But outside of that, yes everything is the same...

screenshot20100318at923.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a look here;

Click for full size

is your Extreme connected by ethernet cable to the modem. Settings above are mine - how do yours compare.

OP
L
Reaction score
Mine is connected via wireless network..

I just joined my extreme to my wireless network... Somebody told me it could have something to do with my modem, or with wireless network being on the same channel as other networks in my area? Is this True?
How can i change the channels on my network, do i have to do it via my router or my extreme?

OP
L
Reaction score
Think i might have fixed it...

I'll keep you guys posted. I replaced my old time warner modem with a newer one. and replaced my router with a new fry's one as well...all seems well since...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried changing the channel in the AEBS some areas do not fair so well on automatic which is the default. Bring up airport utility and double tap the AEBS icon which will bring up your menu scroll over to wireless then try a channel.

OP
L
Reaction score
ok guys, EVERYTHING is working now!

No more dropped signals, external HD, and wireless printer...all GOOD!

so i figured it out. it was essentially my router. i had an older model wirless G router, and as soon as i updated it to a 802.11N Router...No more dropped signals...hope this helps somebody else out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.